Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Dob Build - Top Half

Astralstroll

Well it's taken me what seems like an age to finally assemble the various bits of plywood I cut several months ago. Unfortunately, the piece of 2mm ply for the baffle was about an inch shorter than ideally needed, hence the rather unsightly double layer of ply where the focuser will eventually live. I am still toying with the idea of replacing that with several pieces of additional glued 2mm ply to give a curved surface. I will hopefully give that a go and choose the one which looks the best. In the meantime, there's still a bit of sanding to sort out before the painting commences.

Have ordered the focuser, and am now starting to sort out the spider assembly for the secondary. I've got all of the bits, so it's just a case of finding some time and then assembling it.

post-22645-0-40891000-1395016379_thumb.j

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The plan is for a 16" mirror. This is my first build, and something I've been thinking about, more off than on, for some time. Having not made anything out of wood since my years at school, I had a lot to learn and remember. It's been mostly an enjoyable experience so far, albeit with a few annoying moments along the way.

I'm happy with most of how it went. Fitting the flexible ply baffle was a bit of a fiddle, but eventually it all slotted into place so to speak. I think a few coats of paint will cover up the more amateurish bits of my joinery attempts. Like all things however, I guess the final test is if it works well as a scope.

Alan,

I think mine can best be described as Sumerian Canopus like. Similar, but less well fabricated I'm sure and also somewhat less complicated in places. This all started out as an exercise in seeing whether I could actually build a scope. Now things are coming together, I can see that it might actually get completed. I am finding it hard to keep the momentum up at times though. At present, it seems to take an age to get the smallest of jobs successfully finished. Ive got lots of partially finished bits, but nothing totally finished as yet. Still, thats all part of the fun.

Dave.

Ah Dave, you 'n' me have very similar tastes in our scopes! I copied the Canopus when I built mine last year. It was seeing Mike73's amazing black Canopus that was the clincher, gorgeous scopes.

Make sure you keep the photo's coming.

Dave I guess you didnt you buy a Canopus in the end then?

Hope you keep this build thread going. :)

I think the real beauty of the Canopus is in its simplicity, obviously theres been alot of thought gone into it as well but when its all broke down there really isnt much to it. The mirror cell is so basic I actually emailed Sumerian when it first arrived asking 'wheres the rest of it?' :grin:

I think theirs alot to be said for keeping it simple. 

Mike,

I did eventually get the dream scope from Michael. However, in the time I took to decide, debate, weigh up spending all the money and have the scope built and have a mirror made (many thanks John) I had also set my heart on building a scope. I'm sure a lot of people will think me a tad on the mad side, after all how many scopes can one person use and why build something so big?. I'm really enjoying the challenge of building something that doesn't come in a box with instructions too. The biggest dilemma is how to make my scope something personal to me that isn't a clone of the Sumerian. One thing is for sure, you learn a great deal when you build something.

I agree with you on the simplicity of the Canopus though. Very well built, and pared down to the simplest of lines. A true classic.

If thie scope I'm building finally gets completed, my next plan ( do we ever stop?), is to utilise the base and secondary cage and make a serrurier truss scope. After that, I will enjoy the heavens and build something totally different and non Astro related.

Dave.

Alan,

The funny thing was seeing your build finally got me to pull my finger out and make the scope. In my head, I had built it several times, but never finally got the router out. My woodworking skills can thankfully be hidden with lots of paint. They are no way a match for yours.

Dave.

Alan,

I think mine can best be described as Sumerian Canopus like. Similar, but less well fabricated I'm sure and also somewhat less complicated in places. This all started out as an exercise in seeing whether I could actually build a scope. Now things are coming together, I can see that it might actually get completed. I am finding it hard to keep the momentum up at times though. At present, it seems to take an age to get the smallest of jobs successfully finished. Ive got lots of partially finished bits, but nothing totally finished as yet. Still, thats all part of the fun.

Dave.

Hello Dave and well done for getting this far with your build.

I know how you feel about motivation and keeping the momentum going.I'm hoping to grace these forum's with a creation or 3! of my own but its hard work and you don't always get things right which knocks the wind out of the sails a bit

I'm also having a go at grinding my own mirror too which is a full on massive challenge and is a lot to bite off.

Good luck though and I'll keep a watch on your progress as it is always nice to see a scope come together.

Damian

Damian,

I may ponder a mirror grind one day in the future. For the moment though, the scope build keeps me busy. I take my hat off to anybody who grinds their own mirror or mirrors. Keep grinding and hope the scope comes to fruition soon.

Dave.

This is the fruit of this evenings labours, the fixings for the ends of the spider arms. Looking forward to fabricating the rest of the fittings next week. If only there were more hours in the day, and scope building was a slightly quieter pastime.

Dave.

post-22645-0-53378900-1395174638_thumb.j

Mike,

I did eventually get the dream scope from Michael. However, in the time I took to decide, debate, weigh up spending all the money and have the scope built and have a mirror made (many thanks John) I had also set my heart on building a scope. I'm sure a lot of people will think me a tad on the mad side, after all how many scopes can one person use and why build something so big?. I'm really enjoying the challenge of building something that doesn't come in a box with instructions too. The biggest dilemma is how to make my scope something personal to me that isn't a clone of the Sumerian. One thing is for sure, you learn a great deal when you build something.

I agree with you on the simplicity of the Canopus though. Very well built, and pared down to the simplest of lines. A true classic.

If thie scope I'm building finally gets completed, my next plan ( do we ever stop?), is to utilise the base and secondary cage and make a serrurier truss scope. After that, I will enjoy the heavens and build something totally different and non Astro related.

Dave.

Not mad at all Dave, I've got complete respect for anyone who builds their own. One day when the time comes that I need to go bigger I'II be attempting the same. :)

Archived