SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Vixen SLV's: Photos

John

I thought I'd snap a few pics of the Vixen SLV's that First Light Optics have kindly sent me to try out and report back to the forum on. Apologies for the slight blur on one of the photos - I need to brush up on my close up photography !  :rolleyes2:

Nicely made and they feel chunky in the hand. The rubberised body has 6 flat facets moulded into it which prevent the eyepiece from rolling away. The rubberised eye cup twists up in 3 click stop positions although it will hold position in between those as well. It's action is much more positive and better built than in Vixen's NLP series.

The remaining parts of the body are quality anodized alloy except for the red ring which I assume is plastic. The lens coatings are purple / green in tint and look excellent and consistent on both the eye and field lenses. The chrome barrels have no safety undercut to snag on compression rings and are very well blackened inside. Overall these feel really good quality eyepieces  :smiley:

post-118-0-14801800-1395012650_thumb.jpg

post-118-0-45199000-1395012658_thumb.jpg

post-118-0-42167200-1395012666_thumb.jpg

Interesting design. Does anyone know how these compare optically to the NLVs? Has anyone come across any reviews?

Alas, I've not used an NLV.

I've not read any reviews on the SLV's either - FLO are very good at getting stuff out early for me to try out. Before other forums quite often :smiley:

I think these look rather nice John, I don't really need anymore eyepieces but it is always nice to see quality companies like Vixen launching new and too expensive gear, we are spoilt for choice these days. I remember when I started back in 1972 there were only a very few eyepieces that were on the market as far as I could see and most of them cost the earth to me.

Alan

Archived