SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Can a dob be used for photography

You could always take the base off and mount it with rings and a mount bar and put it on a tracking mount. The mirror or focuser might have to be moved to achieve prime focus just be aware. For basic eyepiece projection or afocal i would think you'd be good.

Hi,

I assume this is the dob you have: http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Revelation-12---F-5-M-CRF-Premium-Dobsonian--White--1.html

In that case, it will be really hard to do any imaging, as you don't have tracking.

Taking the  OTA out of the base and Place it on a EQ Mount (as suggested above) isn't really an option either, unless you are prepared to fork out at least £2500 for a Mount that can handle a 26kg long tube monster, like the EQ8.

I wouldn't even wanna think about trying that (I would break my back).  Not to mention that you can spend that £2500 on something much better and much easier to start out with (like HEQ5 Pro and a 80ED APO refractor) and still have plenty money left to spare.

That 12inch Revelation dob is a fantastic Scope for what it's ment for tho. A Visual DSO killer! :)

What if you did have goto like this...... http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-flextube-goto.html

Sent from my SGP321 using Tapatalk

Presumably it tracks. I think you can still do AP to a limited degree but not long exposures. Mainly because unlike on an EQ mount, the tube doesn't rotate when it tracks.

You can do planets and the moon with either a DSLR or a webcam, the later can produce stunning images and can as cheap as chips to have a go with and see if it is for you.

Those fab looking DSO need long exposures which a dob base natively can't do.

Ok, so a good eq mount appear to be needed for long exposure DSO imaging? So if I was on a budget and wanted to do some general imaging (planets and DSO's) what would be the best scope? Refractor, Reflector or SCT?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Ok, so a good eq mount appear to be needed for long exposure DSO imaging? So if I was on a budget and wanted to do some general imaging (planets and DSO's) what would be the best scope? Refractor, Reflector or SCT?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Best way (which would also mean lowest frustration level) to start would be a HEQ5 pro or Advanced VX mount and a short focal length refractor like a 80 ED.

This is pretty much the most popular and succesful way to get into Long exposure DSO imaging.

With GOTO you are in with a chance, by taking many short duration (20 to 50sec?)  exps and stacking in DSS

The duration depends on which part of the sky your subject is in and upon your latitude.

(being in Scotland, ie nearer the pole (would you believe!!) means you can take slightly longer subs than someone further south )

There are some good DSO pics taken with its big brother the 300pGOTOdob in this thread here

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/206130-are-goto-dobsonians-any-good-for-ap/page-4#entry2214454

he is in Australia at low latitude so he was limited to 20 or 30sec if I remember right, without re-reading the thread.

Field rotation is your enemy, if you want to dig deep, read all about it in this pdf :

http://www.autostars...Rotation V3.pdf

Hi all i was wondering if a dob can be used to take pictures of some kind as i have bought a huge dobsonian and the views are stunning.Any advice would be great cheers :smiley:

the answer is that you can to  very limited extent, as I am discovering.  it will need to track, and have alt and az motors, the better the motors the longer the exposure you will get.  i can get 10 to 20 seconds from my 250mm SW dob, 10-20 seconds of exposure, much much longer of merciless frustration.

post-35728-0-15179900-1394906624_thumb.j

i make no claims about my processing ability.  obviously the brighter the object the better the result...Orion nebula is good...

I can say yes it can be used.

I have the scope in the signature with tracking mount and goto.

I am limited at 30" of exposure but recently i did an experiment pushing it to 1 minute and the star trail was a bit visible but not excessive.

Have a look to my gallery (link in the signature).

As long as you are aware of the limitations and the Challenges.

People have done and still do some amazing planetary imaging with dobs.

But you will quickly notice that pretty much all of them use GoTo / Motorized dobsonians. Like the SW Flextube GoTo´s and Orion XXg / XTg series. As example.

If you have a large dob with GoTo, then it´s definitely an excellent scope to do planetary / lunar imaging with, that gives high contrast and high resolution. Definitely a cheap alternative to a large SCT / EQ Mount combo, which easily costs double to quadruple the price of a similar aperture motorized GoTo dob.

Archived