SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Solar Imaging - Get Started??

Hi,

Was wondering if someone could help me out?

I'd like to be able to image the Sun but i'm unsure as to what equipment i'd require.

My current set up is

1000mm FL 6" Reflector

x2 Barlow

10mm Plossl

20mm Plossl

DSLR

T Adaptor

What would I need to add to this setup to enable me to take photos of the Sun? Nothing to get me extremely close, just something that I could produce a half decent image.

Oh and my budget is limited..

To give you an idea of what it's capable of, the set up above recently gave me this shot of the Moon http://www.flickr.com/photos/xxiiashiixx/13092644594/

To just view the sun you could just buy the metal coated film sheets they sell and wrap the front of the scope. Personally i would also want to get an H-Alpha filter as well.  A 1.25 is about 99 dollars new but for imaging using a DSLR 2" adaptors and a t-ring you'd want a 2" filter and they are more expensive at almost 200. Maybe look for a used one.

To just view the sun you could just buy the metal coated film sheets they sell and wrap the front of the scope. Personally i would also want to get an H-Alpha filter as well.  A 1.25 is about 99 dollars new but for imaging using a DSLR 2" adaptors and a t-ring you'd want a 2" filter and they are more expensive at almost 200. Maybe look for a used one.

The Ha filters you refer to are for deepsky imaging , NOT for Ha solar work ... !

A very basic Ha solar scope is about £700.00 ... !!!

you could make yourself a "white light" filter using Baader ND38 safety film http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/baader-astrosolar-photofilm-nd-38.html which is for imaging only Baader AstroSolar™ PhotoFilm is not intended for visual observation. PhotoFilm is only for use with telescopes for high magnification photographic work.

this would enable you to image sunspots and some granulation.

Hi,

Was wondering if someone could help me out?

I'd like to be able to image the Sun but i'm unsure as to what equipment i'd require.

My current set up is

1000mm FL 6" Reflector

x2 Barlow

10mm Plossl

20mm Plossl

DSLR

T Adaptor

What would I need to add to this setup to enable me to take photos of the Sun? Nothing to get me extremely close, just something that I could produce a half decent image.

Oh and my budget is limited..

To give you an idea of what it's capable of, the set up above recently gave me this shot of the Moon http://www.flickr.com/photos/xxiiashiixx/13092644594/

What you will need is a sheet of Baader Solar film , readily available from the sponsors or any decent Astroshop .

You can buy a ready made filter cell but making your own from card , plastic or an embroidery ring is very simple ... there's a good article on the 'S@N' site for instructions.

For the imaging side Bizibilder's tutorial is a great starting place ... http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/153712-simple-white-light-solar-imaging/

You can use the "little cap" if you wish and it would work.  Better to make a filter that uses the maximum circular aparture that will fit between the secondary supports - probably around 3" or so.  It all depends on your DIY skills.

Also either remove any finder you have or make a filter for that as well !!!

A filter made to get the biggest aperture available between the secondary and the spider vanes would be fine , the film is A4 so you'd be pushed to cover the whole thing.

There's no real benefit in a 200mm filter unless you have consistently near perfect seeing .

I'm guessing that a filter made as a quadrant rather than a circle would be fine , probably more economical film wise and as there are no pinpoint sources to throw strange star shapes I doubt it would affect the view , will have to try this to find out for myself with the 200PDS ...  :smiley:

Sorry - just re-read my somewhat badly worded post!!   :icon_redface:

No the filter goes over the whole end of the tube - you simply cut a hole in it of the appropriate size and mount the Baader film over the hole.  Just align it so the light passes between the secondary legs on its way down the tube to the main mirror.

A filter made to get the biggest aperture available between the secondary and the spider vanes would be fine , the film is A4 so you'd be pushed to cover the whole thing.

There's no real benefit in a 200mm filter unless you have consistently near perfect seeing .

I'm guessing that a filter made as a quadrant rather than a circle would be fine , probably more economical film wise and as there are no pinpoint sources to throw strange star shapes I doubt it would affect the view , will have to try this to find out for myself with the 200PDS ...  :smiley:

Sorry - just re-read my somewhat badly worded post!!   :icon_redface:

No the filter goes over the whole end of the tube - you simply cut a hole in it of the appropriate size and mount the Baader film over the hole.  Just align it so the light passes between the secondary legs on its way down the tube to the main mirror.

Thanks Guys, I understand perfectly what you're saying now...

I'd only ever used the scope with the end cap completely off and never really took any notice of the little cap and what utilising it actually meant...

Nice bit of DIY there Stuart lol.... Thanks for the picture !

I see that your solar filter covers the entire aperture of the scope but others have suggested a much smaller filter coving just a quarter of the scope.

What are the pro's & con's of either of the above?

I have no problems with it being full aperture, it's the right brightness to be comfortable for eyeballing like that.  I'd be shooting at about 1/1000th sec at ISO100 with the DSLR at prime focus.

Cost would be a small factor, you pay for the film by area, but I don't think it was that expensive.

I guess there could be optical differences with the different apertures, but none that I'm aware of.

oh, the diameter of the opening in the cardboard ring is slightly less than the inner diameter of the tube - you want the end of the tube resting against the cardboard, not against the solar film.  and make sure any collar you make is tight, so it can't blow off

I made this wooden frame solar filter, which also includes a filter for the finderscope and a shield to stop the glare of the Sun while using the finder. It helps to line up on Sun spots when imaging with a small chip camera. The wood frame has cover to protect the film when not in use, and it is held onto the front of the scope with velcro for a nice firm fixing. You don't want it coming off while viewing or imaging.

post-20257-0-49780000-1394902039_thumb.j

Archived