Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astronomik CLS or CLS CCD for my modded 600D

oldpink

after some searching I have read conflicting reports about whether the CCD version is better or not
the CCD version claims to be for modded camera's but I had a Baader BCF 1 filter installed, so with that in mind will the standard CLS be the one to use
or will the CCD give better results

after some searching I have read conflicting reports about whether the CCD version is better or not

the CCD version claims to be for modded camera's but I had a Baader BCF 1 filter installed, so with that in mind will the standard CLS be the one to use

or will the CCD give better results

I believe the ccd version is ir blocked, as u have a badder filter installed, the ccd version may not offer any improvement over the cls version.

A.G

thats what I was thinking the camera is modded but the Badder makes it more like a normal unmodded cam
so t the CCD isn't required the Baader takes care of that end of the spectrum

though I think it may be a good idea to contact the camera supplier and ask their advice first

Quick question. I have a unmodded 1100d. I'm considering a filter. The way I read things... Should I buy a cls for it? And when I get the camera eventually modded with a baadet filter, should I still need the cls? Just looking for confirmation before I order a cls filter. As I really need one ASAP. Cheers! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

from what I read the CCD version is for Modded camera's but adding the Badder makes it more like an Un modded cam so the CLS will work on both setups
it will be a couple of weeks before I order so hoping to get more confirmation before I pull the trigger and purchase it

The CCD CLS will only be of real use on a DSLR where all filters have been removed (full specturm), there is nothing to be gained by using one on a camera with the Baader filter mod since the IR is already blocked. Having said that, the signal loss at some wavelengths can be as much as 10% between the two filters (with the CCD version having the higher transmission).

pretty sums up my conclusions, after looking at the graphs the CCD does have the edge for pure Astro
but the Badder is a decent option if you want to use the camera on terrestrial objects as I do 
so I think it will be the CLS version for me which is a bonus as its cheaper and easier to justify to SHMBO

Hi

If you're talking about the Baader filter that's usually installed with astro modding then that's just an IR filter with a sharp cutoff at about 700nm thus still allowing the Halpha wavelengths through but blocking IR. The cls/cls-ccd clip filters are purely for reducing the effects of light pollution. The cls-ccd also has a fairly sharp cut-off at around 680-700nm also letting Halpha through. It's not clear where the cls non ccd filter cuts off but it's past 700nm so appears to let some IR through. This can be good or bad - depending. So it seems to me if you have a Baader mod then it won't make a lot of difference as to which lp filter you use. The cls-ccd has better transmission efficiency characteristics which is why I chose it. It does shift the visible passband towards the blue end of the spectrum but I've not found this a problem and I only use my 1100d for astro. It's easy enough to remove the clip filters anyway. Please note - you can't use Canon EF-S lenses with a clip filter installed. The EF lenses are fine :).

If you do a search you'll see that this topic has been discussed previously - probably more than once! e.g. http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/83387-astronomik-cls-v-cls-ccd/

Hth

Louise

yes I found 3 threads with slightly contradicting info regarding the Badder Mod and which filter is better
my 600D will be 90% astro most likely with a CLS clip filter which will be removed and a custom colour & white balance for daytime use
thats why I had the Baader fitted when I bought the modded Camera

looking at all the graphs inc an extended one  in an earlier thread which led me to believe the non CCD was the one to go for having the Badder mod installed
had I known beforehand I would have left the Baader out and used the CCD to cover that side of it, but again it sacrifices daytime use
guess its a bit swings & roundabouts, for me just now its more to deal with LP though the enhanced DSO capability does appeal to me as well

Hiya

The Baader mod doesn't take into account whether or not you expect to use the camera in a light polluted environment. It simply improves the transmission to the sensor at the red end of the spectrum thus allowing better transmission of dark red including H-alpha wavelengths. You might one day want to use your camera at a dark site - you could leave the clip filter in but at a dark site it would be better to take it out and let all the otherwise blocked wavelengths through - that would seem a good thing for imaging! The Baader blocks UV and IR which could otherwise cause blurriness or bloated stars so is generally a good thing to have. It doesn't block any visible light so lets all the lp wavelengths through too. Hence you really need a lp filter as well in cities/built-up areas. 

Louise

good advive
when I get to dark sky sites i don't think I will need any filter (or I hope not to need one)
the CLS is primarily to deal with the LP and allow more exposure time when I am at home and don't have much choice

Having just modded my 400d and used both the CLS and CCD-CLS filters thought I'll drop my 2p worth in here.

If you have the Baader IR block filter fitted, the visual CLS filter is fine.  This is because the CLS passes IR which is then blocked by the Baader filter.

If you remove the rear filter (and front low pass filter) then the camera is responsive to UV/IR.  The CCD-CLS filter is required to cut the IR /UV otherwise you'll end up with near IR ghosting of stars.

• 8 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

Is the IR above 700nm needed for DSO imaging? I understand it causes some bloating in Refractor, but for imaging Nebula and Galaxy, is it better to have extra IR?

Only if you wish to image in IR. Also with most EDs the IR is not focused properly causing starbloat and magenta cast around some stars, newtonians do not suffer from this as much if at all so an IR layer is desirable.

A.G

Archived