Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing tents?

I'm investigating getting an observing tent for use at star parties.

I know about the Kendrick tent

http://www.altairastro.com/tent.htm

http://www.green-witch.com/cgi-bin/sh000002.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2egreen%2dwitch%2ecom%2f&WD=tent&PN=Tents_and_Observatories%2ehtml%23a746048076#a746048076

and those sold by 365 astronomy

http://www.365astronomy.com/portable-observatory-tent-p-865.html

Are there any other designs or retailers selling observing tents?

Hi Michael,

I have recently considered getting an observing tent for star parties. The Kendrick is just too expensive for me. The 365 tent doesn't seem to be available any more - at least not when I was looking.

What I finally decided on was to get a Vango 5 pole windbreak with some extra guy ropes and some tiled matting similar, but with holes, to what many, including myself, use in their observatories. For the scope I have a greenwitch scope cover. I've tried tis in the garden, but not at a camp as yet, and it seems fine. Plenty of space but protected from the wind. I'll be trying out properly at Kelling later this month.

I'd happily swap this for a Kendrik, but the other one seems to me a little tight on space and it appears that you need an extra cover in the event of heavy rain. Apparently the standard one can fill with water and then drop in!!<br />

Hope that helps. Will you be at Kelling this time?

Dave

Hi Michael,

I have recently considered getting an observing tent for star parties. The Kendrick is just too expensive for me. The 365 tent doesn't seem to be available any more - at least not when I was looking.

What I finally decided on was to get a Vango 5 pole windbreak with some extra guy ropes and some tiled matting similar, but with holes, to what many, including myself, use in their observatories. For the scope I have a greenwitch scope cover. I've tried tis in the garden, but not at a camp as yet, and it seems fine. Plenty of space but protected from the wind. I'll be trying out properly at Kelling later this month.

I'd happily swap this for a Kendrik, but the other one seems to me a little tight on space and it appears that you need an extra cover in the event of heavy rain. Apparently the standard one can fill with water and then drop in!!<br />

Hope that helps. Will you be at Kelling this time?

Dave

Hi Dave

I only do Kelling in the autumn (it's over 180 miles each way).  My spring star party will be Lucksall (SGL 9) - just 27 miles each away.

• 5 months later...

Hello.

I too have been looking at the Kendrick Observer Tent. Ignoring the cost (which justiably, most people consider ).

I have three questions which could help me make up my mind.

Please can anyone help?

1. Is it effectively water resistant?

2. Is it too much of a hassle for one person to erect it?

3. Does the floor material have the thickness to protect it from damage when using a telescope?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello.

I too have been looking at the Kendrick Observer Tent. Ignoring the cost (which justiably, most people consider ).

I have three questions which could help me make up my mind.

Please can anyone help?

1. Is it effectively water resistant?

2. Is it too much of a hassle for one person to erect it?

3. Does the floor material have the thickness to protect it from damage when using a telescope?

Not sure I'd  want this with a Dob TBH

I'm giving this some consideration as a portable, especially for my garden?     http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-utility-tent-p148806    I'm not sure if it will reduce any light  pollution, but  with my telescope where the focuser is at the wrong end ? , I can see this as almost perfect for my needs and cheap too. I had considered making something similar out of a beach windbreak and a fishing umbrella. This utility seems like  the best option. for me right now!

** EDIT** just ordered mine for collection tomorrow! £39.99.

..........I forgot to add to my edit, although your wanting to camp (  I have camping tents, so accomodation is not a problem for me ).  There are not many tents that can accept a telescope system on its tripod, their just not tall enough?  I suppose any  dome tent with a roof hole would be excellent for a Refractor telescope. But a Dobsonian, I`d need to stick my head out too?  This Utility/toilet tent just seems right for my telescope.

Charic,

There must be a market for observing pop-up tents that are made out of blackout material. Of all the observing tents I have seen, they don't look thick enough to block out unwanted light, which is for me, a main pre-requisite for buying one.

For now, I'll stick with a couple of patio umbrella bases, poles and the blackout fabric with washing line cord...

Beulah,

I think any tent would be fine for a refractor, because your 'inside',  but a Dobsonian needs head space , but I agree, the materials are so thin, they wont completely block brighter lights.  I have a 6x4 shed to get rid. In fact I have several?   If modified into a static observatory,  I have restricted views of the skies due to Tree lines and buildings, and where I`m not shielded by  buildings and vegetation, there is some street lighting. Any shelter/shield  for me will be better than nothing or draping the bath towel over my head. 45 mins drive away and I have the blackest, darkest skies in remote areas with no lights  visually for at least ten miles away. There is the occaisional car light. So if I modified  a 6x4 shed, there would  be only one viewing position, so that restricts my needs.  The Potty/Utility/Dobsonian tent will be more suitable for my needs, so I intend to collect it in the morning, and when the fog clears ( three nights now?)  I'll give it a test. It should  also hide and allow longer cooling without prying eyes surveying my telescope, home or away! Their £60 notes new,  but with a discount,  down to £39.99. so worth a try. I also have some spare tent materials, so maybe double skin, or tie-wrap a top section to improve the llight entering.

.........back to the OP I also have the Coleman Lakeside tent. Its got two internal rooms, a Galley area,  front  fitted  awning and two side doors. I would imagine there is scope (forget the pun)  to accomodate any EQ or ALT/AZ  under the awning or from either of the exit doors. if pitched, awning facing South, I think this would give plenty of  access to the views of the sky. I'm also certain I paid a lot less than their charging at todays prices?

...........and here it is. Dont think there's enough space to launch an EQ system, but is perfect for my Dobsonian. Has two " Lens shelves"  A "Red light Hook", A strap to hang my " magi-board" if I need to write something,  and room enough for me to stand or sit. I love it. On a light transmission note, standing outside the tent and trying to look though at the Sun, shows sufficient dimming of the light, so this may be sufficient for my local street and security lighting.........the final results will appear soon......

For nights when it is relatively still do you think that it could be held down with 2 or 3 peg (no ropes)  to enable it to be repositioned to enable the scope to be polar aligned or target other areas of the sky? Would an E5 mount go halfway in and undercover?

.............its got 8 pegs at present fitted ( and one spare!)  There is one in each corner of the tent, that should be sufficient, and one for each guide rope.  I rotated mine  fron SSE to E just a short while ago.  All done in a min.

I`m sure my GEM/EQ2 ? celestron would fit, but I wont be getting into the back of my shed tonight. If the weather is fine tomorrow or Tuesday between my shifts, I`ll try to fit the Celestron 127EQ as a guide.. I`ll provide an image.

michaelmorris.............appologies if I seem to be hogging the thread, maybe I should have started another thread on the utility tent.  I also had a moderator adjust one of my threads as in  #8 I`d said I didnt have a tent, and in #13, there it is?   The Coleman is a perfectly adequate tent for observing from and living in!

1st update: Condensation? more than I expected, but its been warm this afternoon, and the tent is on long grass, so I expect the fault lies there. Maybe I closed the vents a little too early. I will modify this issue by placing a ground sheet under the Dob tent and just use the guy ropes to hold in place. 2nd: I tried to locate in the worst possible place for  street lighting, and it still gets through, but not as intense. In my normal shaded areas, it will be good, as it does help me from looking for the lights!  3rd. There's space, and  I think a small   camping  or fishermans side table would be of benefit, to keep my bag of EP's  off the grass/floor?  It feels cosy, and a  fabricated new front door cover may be required,  to keep me inside and the face of the telescope just outside through a peep-hole.  If only the original door unzipped at either  end it would be perfect. lastly, it felt safer leaving the telescope outside, averting prying eyes?

I received my Kendrick last week. I imaged in it last night, braved the rain, and slept like a baby without having to scramble to get my gear in the truck. I have one more night in it. My initial impressions are positive with a few minor issues and several huge accolades.

Any questions you have?

It's very manageable. Took me around thirty minutes to set it up. I did a time lapse to show it, then plenty of photos to illustrate my review.

I'll be posting a full review shortly here: www.sceniccityphotography.com/blog

Here are some of my thoughts and photos:

Here are my photos from the setup and use.

All of the stuff in the background in this tent shown in the foreground.

15313697061_5330468e0e.jpg

And unpackaged:

15130113389_19444eb654.jpg

Inside with table and chair present:

15130152560_0cbcc3af6c.jpg

Setup in the warm room:

15313696551_3840de5f86.jpg

Setup in the observing room:

15130113109_73055ea6a4.jpg

Setup from the end of the computer room with the warm room door pulled and secured back:

15130152150_9c89f21437.jpg

Setup during the day:

15130316657_8d2228f603.jpg

From outside:

15313696131_1884a0b2e9.jpg

Fit and finish:

15316518692_9e767fd2e9.jpg

• 1 month later...

And as promised here is a quick setup video and my field test observations:  http://www.sceniccityphotography.com/blog/2014/9/kendrick-stargate-2-observatory-tent--field-test

Wow thanks for the photos and video :) I have been looking at that tent for a month, not knowing if it was worth it... It definitly does ;)

Archived