Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Just 35 minutes - Belt and Sword

First time out in far far too long.... Used the Astrotrac with my 150mm Macro lens... it's quite a nice fit for Orions belt and sword... I think it worked rather well... even 2 minute and 45 second subs are too long for the trap with this setup...

I think the 150mm lens is pushing my polar alignment with a 3 way tripod head... I was only just about getting away with 2 minutes and 45 seconds, but at f/2.8... that's not so much of an issue :D

Sigma 150mm Macro, Unmodded Canon 450d. Mounted on my Astrotrac. Focused using dSLR controller on my droid tablet. f/2.8, 13x165 seconds, ISO800. Darks and iPad flats.

orionsbelt.jpg

If I'd captured the two hours worth of data I'd wanted (clouds put paid to that), I'd have taken more time on the processing, as it is, this took less than 10 minutes.

Thanks all... 

Agnes, this it the older, non stabilised version, of the 150mm macro lens. Got to say though, I'm really impressed with the flatness of the field, considering it was wide open at f/2.8.

Thanks Richard.

I posted it to astrometry.net on flickr, and the amount of objects in there is far more than I'd have expected :D...

Full screen on my computer, there's a lot of very faint red in the background, that if I'd managed at least the 2 hours total exposure time minimum I'd wanted, I'm sure would have come out. 

• 2 weeks later...

Nice capture. 135 or 150 makes for a nice composition with this subject. I tried 200mm a few weeks ago and could frame Alnitak and M42 but the other 2 belt stars wouldn't quite fit in.

Archived