SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Modifying a VX-5000 Lifecam for telescope use - a question...

Andy_K

Hi,

I've started dismantling a VX-5000 webcam and am almost ready to attach it to the small piece of 1.25" tube...

I've removed the microphone and the LED already.  Am I right in assuming that I also need to remove the focusing lens that covers the CCD ?

I know that if it was an autofocus one I would have to, but it's a fixed lens.

Any comments/hints/tips etc are more than welcome.

One final question...(hopefully!)

There appears to be a filter over the sensor.

Is there any benefit in removing it?

NO do NOT touch it. 

the filter system you wnated to remove should be inside the lens unit.

have a look at the lens does it have a red hue to it, and/or a red looking fliter.

it could be possible that the camera makers have gone to an IR protector plate.

using a IR glass plate as a sensor protector and IR filter.

to check, pop cam into usb and run the imaging software ( sharpcap etc etc)

pop into telescope and focus on something,

image is in color and clear = it has a IR filter 

Image is a pink hue = camera has been IR converted and now see's IR lightwaves

the second is what you should be seeing.( and now you will purchase an IR filter for astrophotograhpy)

the first means you have either fitted a IR blocking filter OR the camera has an inbuilt IR filter. ( no need to purchase an IR filter)

NO do NOT touch it. 

the filter system you wnated to remove should be inside the lens unit.

have a look at the lens does it have a red hue to it, and/or a red looking fliter.

The lens I removed is perfectly clear, whereas the cover over the sensor appears to have a pinky red hue to it (depending on how the light hits it).

Some tips when gluing. 

i modded my microsoft lifecam a HD5000 model. 

an old eyepiece came in handy, i unscrewed the metal eyepiece barrel. 

i then took a nice fine thin saw blade, and cut of the threaded plastic ring. 

two part epoxy, mixed up. i centered the screw thread i had cut from the eyepiece.

to my cameras body ( i made a body to hold the camera, a small box).

once dried and you really need to leave it the FULL 24hrs to cure fully, i screwed on the eyepiece barrel. 

the old cheap £6 eyepiece i picked up ened up being the perfect camera focuser nose barrel and also has

a threaded internal so i can add astro filters, ir block filters to the front nose piece just as you would an eyepiece.

Never ever use superglue near the sensor. the fumes will adhere to the glass/filtering and ruin the cameras view.

do not use silicone sealant clear/colored, it has a somewhat acidic smell, this will when curing start to corrode the

PCB board and the soldering tabs etc etc. not a good thing on a pcb packed with electronics.

I was going to use the barrel from an eyepiece I have but as this is only an experiment I just used a little bit of black plastic pipe that's the correct size.

If it works okay then I'll look at getting a better camera and use a threaded barrel etc.

I used some slow setting two pack epoxy glue - I don't trust superglue and also because of the vapour issue you mentioned.

The hardest thing is waiting for it to set so I can have a play!! :D

lol andy it is only 24hrs lol 

we wait weeks with clouded skys but yes no amount of wishing or checking will make it set quicker.

i had some 5min setting time stuff but done the job fine, check ebay see is there are any very cheapy eyepieces

then just hack off the screw ring from the eyepiece body it worked perfect for me. 

you could cheat somewhat, and de-house the camera fully.

this way your left with just a PCB camera board and a wire usb.

then you can make/find up a new smaller compact box something flat faced.

a small hole to uncover sensor and a couple well placed dabs of hot glue, your done. 

heres a link to my build thread and the eyepiece idea and hacking up of said eyepiece lol

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/119115-ms-lifecam-hd-5000-converted/

lol andy it is only 24hrs lol

But...but...that's like a whole day! :grin:

Luckily (for me) it's cloudy here today though ;)

I'll have a look at your build thread - thanks for that!

• 1 year later...

I have the same webcam and I'm wondering how to perfectly center the nosepiece. I wonder if I could use a standard nose piece adapter. Does this cam have the standard 12mm thread inside?

Archived