Narrowband

Convert .mov to .avi?

PhotoGav

Hello Fellow Imagers,

Please can somebody advise me as to the best software to convert a .mov to .avi on the PC.

I am looking at using an EOS 60D in video crop mode to do some planetary imaging. EOS Utils seems to be the only way to capture the video and it outputs a .mov file. I've done a search online for a converter, but there are loads... Just wondering who has some experience of doing this and which is the best one.

Thank you in advance.

Hello Fellow Imagers,

Please can somebody advise me as to the best software to convert a .mov to .avi on the PC.

I am looking at using an EOS 60D in video crop mode to do some planetary imaging. EOS Utils seems to be the only way to capture the video and it outputs a .mov file. I've done a search online for a converter, but there are loads... Just wondering who has some experience of doing this and which is the best one.

Thank you in advance.

or http://www.freemake.com/

Thank you folks for once again proving that SGL really is the best way to get a good answer fast!

I didn't realise that PIPP can take in a .mov as a source file. I have used it already, so will just try that with the .mov file next time.

Thanks.

Trying out that squared5 program and all i get when trying to convert to an AVI is "can't prepare the movie" No matter the source file but mostly Mpeg4 here.  Any suggestions?

Ok got a .Mov file to convert finally. Would you crop here or wait till later?

I've only used PIPP a couple of times just center my video image, if it does the conversion too then I'd stick with that as it will be two jobs in one.

But we all have our preferences and the human nature is that we don't like change, so the best advice I could give is read up on all the recommendations and choose for yourself. At least with recommendations you have a starting point.

I found that the main problem I had with Canon .mov files was that the HD ones didn't convert to a useable avi (i.e. one that would work with Registax) with most converters. Using PIPP and cropping at the same time seemed to solve the problem.

Have you tried just changing the name? With my Panasonic Video camera I can just right click the file and then change .mov to .avi and then save. There is a warning that the file may not save correctly but it always does and is then recognised as an avi file in other programs.

Probably best to copy the original first if you try this - just in case something goes wrong!

Archived