Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

West Sussex Observing Group - fixed building location?

Hi all Horshamish people - the weather has been a royal pain for us all meaning observing is sporadic so get togethers are infrequent.

I'm considering the idea of looking into a fixed indoor meet up location that we can goto once a month say to meet and discuss equipment, software, imaging, techniques, how-to etc etc.

What does everyone think? It would mean a cost for hall hire etc. There are plenty of halls about - even one in Cowfold. Any thoughts?

Frank

Nice idea, we could just split cost equally amongst those that turn up.

Cowfold location ideal as it will be dark site, so if clear we can observe if not we can setup inside and share knowledge.

Suggest we do something like last Saturday of each month. Ie 22 Jan

Could do themes. Mounts, lunar, Planetary, DSO, sky at night tour, AP, etc

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi Hobsey,

So where do you go? I go to Crawley, which I like, but it's all lectures and really I want to join a more hands-on club - maybe as well as Crawley.

I need to observe with more experienced astronomers than I am. 

I did thing about Worthing, which advertises itself as practical, but really it's too far.

Regards,

Steve.

The be honest Steve, I haven't been out for almost 2 years now.

I normally met up with the Surrey lot but we haven't been out for a long time.

The only reason I was going to be meeting up in Cowfold is because I was going to be a other group for me to meet up with and it really doesn't take me long to get there.

I really can't see how Crawley can be any good with Gatwick Airport right next door. 

Keep an eye out on the Surrey group as I'm hoping the weather is going to be kinder to us this season and hope to meet up a bit more often, we normally meet up at Ranmoor Common. 

Archived