SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Feb 10, 2014: Lovely naked-eye line-up of planets at dawn

When the alarm clock went off at the usual 6:30 (5:30 UK time), I had a quick look out of the window, and was treated to a rare clear patch, showing a beautiful dawn line-up of Venus, Saturn, and Mars. They were all too low to see from the garden with the scope, so I didn't bother to set it up, and just admired the view from the bedroom window. This kind of sight always reminds me of your own alignment with respect to the plane of the solar system. It's cloudy now, but I am pleased to have had a glimpse of what's out there.

Ceres and Vesta were also in a shallow upward arc from Mars and Spica -  just above the ecliptic. The morning skies are often very beautiful as we start the approach to the equinox this time of year. I had a skim round with binoculars at 4:40am and even spotted what I think was M5. If you're an early riser it's a good time to take advantage at every chance of a clear sky. :)

Too True gents.

Chasing around after Ison - Lovejoy and crew in the mornings has allowed me to see some

morning marvells that I would normally have missed, such as Saturn as near paeesd Conjunction with the sun as I have ever seen it.

It is always good to set the alarm now and again and do some early obs in lieue of the late nights.

If we don't we are missing out

Mick

Had another look this morning. Frank (my eldest) joined me and I explained which planet was which (none needed for Venus). He liked the idea that he could really see the plane of the solar system laid out in front of him. Very relaxing couple of minutes with Frank just admiring the our place in space.

Had another look this morning. Frank (my eldest) joined me and I explained which planet was which (none needed for Venus). He liked the idea that he could really see the plane of the solar system laid out in front of him. Very relaxing couple of minutes with Frank just admiring the our place in space.

...and not forgetting to look down for another one, of course!

Ollyu

Archived