SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Best Astronomy Magazine?

I'm a newbie and about to buy my first telescope (Skywatcher Skyliner 200p Dob) next week. I am doing lots of research and reading and would like to regularly buy a magazine. Whilst shopping in Tesco last night I came across 3 choices

BBC Sky at Night

Astronomy Now

All About Space

I did have a nose through each one but as a newbie it was difficult to decide which was best. Interested to hear people's opinion.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ecw199.......Hi, I looked into buying a magazine and bought two since October( Nov 13 Jan 14)  but after a long think, I can get more information on-line and help from the forum. Sky at Night normally have the first 5 issues for about £5 if that's tempting enough.

Nice telescope you've chosen

Patrick [Moore], a joint founder of the society [JAS - BAA?] made his peace decades later...

Not so with his founding of the magazine *Astronomy Now*, which was in time followed 

by divorce and repeated attempts to set up a rival publication. :p

(Martin Mobberly's new Book: "It came from outer space wearing an RAF blazer" etc.)  :)

Surprised or Un-surprised? Sorry, I couldn't resist! :D

I do get "AN"... For now... ;)

I bought sky at night and astronomy now this month and I think visually astronomy now wins hands down. SAN seems better for hands on practical stuff though and tutorials. Astronomy now seems to discuss deep space things and theory more than things that you can see from your garden. Both great though and not too many ads. Just enough adds actually to wet ones appetite :)

Try a couple of issues of each magazine you're interested in and compare them. Pick the one you like the most and then buy a subscription.

Agreed: I did some of the above.  It did not take long to realize a favorite from the crowd. 

I started off with a few issues of Astronomy Now, then tried Sky @ N, then I tried the less glossy ones wrapped in cellophane you can't read before you buy.  They may not stand out on the shelf as much but don't overlook them!

I personally like Sky & Telescope the best so far, the featured articles in this one are top notch.  Granted it can feel a little more technical and specific but for me thats why I find it most enjoyable for the long term.  I am currently trying an issue of Astronomy and so far its very good too.  

Personal taste is.....well personal, but try one of each for as many months and you will make up your own mind I am sure. 

That said the quality of information across all the publications is great.

Enjoy

Thanks every one for you input so far!

For some reason I bought All About Space (mainly because some of the articles looked interesting and it was cheaper). It has some good articles but not as much practical hands on stuff as I would have liked. Seems like Sky at Night might be a better magazine for this

I write for one but subscribe to both! It is pretty much impossible to say that one is 'better' than the other because, thankfully, the two magazines approach the subject of astronomy differently which makes them both good if they do things the way you personally like them to be done! I find sufficient interesting material in both magazines each month to keep both subscriptions going.

The advice already given - to buy both for a few months and then decide - is very sound as it is only by doing this that you can determine which one is the 'best' for YOU.

I subscribe to S@N and have always found it very good, I pick up

A N now and again which is very similar, but S@N has more for the

beginner I find, which suits me, depends what you want from it really. 

I subscribe to AN and Sky and Telescope. 

I think Sky and Telescope is still the best astronomy magazine around. For both news, and content.

I like Astronomy Now, but some of the content can be a little off the beaten track, but. It's still the best UK astronomy magazine.

I write for one but subscribe to both! It is pretty much impossible to say that one is 'better' than the other because, thankfully, the two magazines approach the subject of astronomy differently which makes them both good if they do things the way you personally like them to be done! I find sufficient interesting material in both magazines each month to keep both subscriptions going.

The advice already given - to buy both for a few months and then decide - is very sound as it is only by doing this that you can determine which one is the 'best' for YOU.

I have done exactly this, and have now settled on a Sky at Night subscription.

I get both...sky at night have a paper plus ipad subscription which is kind of nice, but, like the tv program is a bit shallow in detail. This month that had the plough in their Deep sky guide...when was a constellation deep sky ???

Astronomy now is a meatier magazine, but that might not be to everyone's taste.

They are both chock full of adverts, but I guess they have their costs to cover.

Thanks every one for you input so far!

For some reason I bought All About Space (mainly because some of the articles looked interesting and it was cheaper). It has some good articles but not as much practical hands on stuff as I would have liked. Seems like Sky at Night might be a better magazine for this

Agreed, All About Space is more focussed on cosmology and space exploration. Sky at Night and Astronomy Now both carry more stuff about amateur observation and imaging.

Unfortunately the best astronomy magazine is in finnish so you will have to learn a new language;) The finnish astronomy society's (URSA) magazine Tähdet & Avaruus (Stars & Space) is an excellent magazine , taking into account the fact that it is almost totally done by non-professionals. Articles are written by hobbyists and finnish scientists. I think it is the biggest astronomy magazine in the nordic countries. Due to the fact that there are finnish doctoral students and scientists all over the world, they have a wide variety of articles written by them on different subjects. 

This month that had the plough in their Deep sky guide...when was a constellation deep sky ???

I thought it was a cool idea to hang the other five objects off the backbone of the Plough, one of the most iconic objects in the night sky outside our own solar system -  but each to his own :grin:

On a brighter note, this was my last Deep Sky Tour for the magazine so you won't have to suffer my drivel in future issues :eek:

On a brighter note, this was my last Deep Sky Tour for the magazine so you won't have to suffer my drivel in future issues :eek:

What? Why? The Deep Sky Tour is a great fun to read and try to follow (when the weather permits).

I thought it was a cool idea to hang the other five objects off the backbone of the Plough, one of the most iconic objects in the night sky outside our own solar system - but each to his own :grin:

Steve, your deep sky tour was the only reason I have a subscription to Sky at Night. I have learnt so much from these over the past year or so. The red light friendly PDF 's formed the basis of my planning sessions. So from me, "thank you."

Think hanging five objects off the Plough was inspired btw : had a look at the Owl Nebula through my 5" cat and then a 10" Dob, it was stunning.

Chris

Archived