SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Revelation 15x70 binoculars

Steve_Max127

Just received my Revelation 15x70 binoculars fantastic service for delivery, ordered at midday received an email at 3:30 to say dispatched and arrived at 8:30 this morning.

However I think there is a problem with them on testing hand held and on the tripod. Most of the view is nice bright and sharp but the lower right seems just out of focus and almost like viewing with an obstruction in the way.

About a ¼ of the bottom right view arcs across out of focus and is really distracting. I have had a look down the lenses but cannot see anything obvious.

Telescope House is shut till Monday for AstroFest so I thought I would ask for opinions as I know these are popular binoculars on here.  I will contact the supplier on Monday I guess I just got unlucky with a rogue pairL the rest of the view is lovely bright and sharp.

What a shame.I've got some of these (and by coincidence, I also live less than two miles from Telescope House) and they shouldn't be like that. they are extremely helpful guys, and I'm sure will sort you out a replacement very quickly.

II managed a quick glimpse of the moon last night and Jupiter as it was getting dark but quickly clouded over followed by rain.

I was hoping to catch the Pleiades, Orion and a general sweep of the skies but it was not to be.

What bit I did catch showed a lot of promise and I am sure I will become a binocular convert once they are sorted.

Sometimes I just don’t feel like spending a half hour or more setting my scope up only to be greeted half hour later by clouds to put it all away again.

Took just a few seconds to put the binoculars on the tripod and I was out under the sky all be it very briefly.

I think the quick spontaneity of binoculars will renew my failing interest in astronomy. 

One think I did notice very quickly was the need for a monopod and trigger grip as recommended on here as it was a struggle to catch the moon so high up.

Spoke to Kerin at Telescope House this morning very helpful, he is sending a replacement pair to be swapped out should be here Wed/ Thursday. Will update when they arrive, I can see them getting a lot of use.

Having spent half hour this evening setting up the scope only to cloud over and fog after fifteen minutes, the forecast was clear all night:-(

As a newbie - I use our 15x70 Revelations as a finder scope for navigating new areas of the sky.

Pointing the scope into the darkness is much easier once I can star-hop my way to an object.

The binocular view should be crystal clear.

We got back into star watching after buying these bins and realising that there was much more to see from the 3-inch scope with some collimation, and proper optics fitted.

The replacement binoculars are likely to have been tested before despatch and be 100% OK.

Hi everyone,

I'm just waiting for my Skymaster 15x70 binocs arriving, I've a celestron 130 slt that was a Christmas gift and used it twice due to cloud and rain, great views though. Anyone else got these bad boys?

Courier arrived with replacement binoculars and swapped out on Wednesday morning. Only been able to test on terrestrial views due to weather but nice bright and sharp images. Excellent service from Telescope House.

Looking forward to some clear nights, well I'm an optimist at heart:-)

Managed twenty minutes out with new replacement 15x70's this evening, superb views of the moon, Jupiter and Orion and just generally looking around using the tripod. Had to close up the tripod and use it as a monopod to capture M45 a breath taking view even been batted by the wind. I can not wait for a moonless still night, we'll I can dream:-)

I have to say these are excellent for a budget pair of binoculars even more so in the sale at £45, would love to look through a pair of Helios Appolo 15x70's. Birthdays only a few months away so you never know.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all........My Bresser's are very old +19! still seem perfectly aligned and great for wide field views. However I'm on the spend and want to get something slightly more powerful. I cant always just take the Dobsonian with me, so need a little extra magnification and light gathering ability.

I did own some Helios Stellar 20x80's some Years ago, purchased mainly on impulse due to them being mis-priced in the shop, only £125? but I also needed high power for daylight terrestrial use, at that time. They also came with a small pair of roof prisms 8x32 I think (need to check).
I know more about Astronomy now than I did when I purchased the Helios, and part of me says, I wish I still had them. But they were eventually sold on e-bay and I got more than my money back!
Long story shortened, just ordered the Revelation 15x70 with a tripod adaptor from Telescope House. They reckon they`ll be at my house by Wednesday?
Would be nice if everyone could get out now and spend a little, while the bad weather is here, make you feel better, and then, there's no comeback on you, as regards the astronomy kit /  bad weather syndrome? 

My binoculars arrived as detailed, which is fast, normally takes 3 to 4 days to my address?

Their ok, and their what I was expecting, similar to my previous Helios 20x80's, although not as solid/well built, as I recall. These 15x70s are stored in a soft case? optics like these need hard case protection. They still need a steady support to see a stable target, They don't have eye cap covers, just a rain guard, to prevent the eyepieces from filling up? ( The guard does fit better if you roll the eye rubbers down!  Ive only had them one Day, but their doing what I require from them, that is to see M31 & M42 when I don't have my telescope with me, and hopefully other DSO's. They just made out the 4 Moons of Jupiter, but Jupiter itself was far to bright to see any surface detail.  I can still see M31(Andromeda) with the 7x50's but more there's more light gathered and its a little closer with the 15x70'sfrom my garden with street light pollution.

I've installed (upside-down) green milk carton lids from Asda milk cartons as eye caps for the 15x70's. They fit just perfect inside the eye cup? the Revelations were under £50 but factor in postage and packing for final prices from Telescope House. I also noted that they eyepiece rubbers `feel different`? they look the same, but one feels softer than the other, more flexible! Might get a replacement in the post?

• 1 month later...
 I've been out using the 15x70's tonight on a cloud filtered Moon! Initially I noticed there was an error in focusing the right dioptre? It turns out to be a lot of slop across the bridge between the eyepieces, causing excessive vertical movement of the eyepieces, as viewed with the  binoculars sitting with the objectives face down on a table, there was so much movement, the bridge pivoted like a see-saw, if pushed with my thumbs. I removed the rubber dust cap between the eyepieces, and it wont go back because it appears to have been heat welded into place?

I tightened the main brass screw (not adjusting the micro-screws in the main screw )  and the bridge has a lot less vertical play between the two  eyepieces?  A bit of double-side foam pad and electrical tape and the rubber cap is replaced. So if your thinking about  the removal of that cap, It doesn't just pop out :sad:

• 3 weeks later...

can anyone reccomend a tripod under 50quid for 15x70 bins from argos

thank you

Archived