Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Toilet Tent / Scope Cover??

Mav359

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 7 months later...

Alan i have had this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300864319162?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649    for 3 yrs no trouble at all,can  highly reccommend it!!!!!

Regards

Mike

Saw this thread a few months ago, searched, but could not find an Aquadome anywhere; finally found one in stock on Amazon today. The ( 165  X 165 cm ) width will be just right for the 130 cm footprint of our portable pier & scope.

A belated....... thank you for posting !   :smiley:

Just what i need Mike

I am away at a star party now and pitched a toilet tent that i bought that is only just big enough....

Sunday was the first night and it only came with two guide ropes, 40-50mph gusts later and come monday morning the poles were cracked at the top. Much duct tape and some washing line later and it may just last me until the weekend.

Its a bit small anyway so this would be perfect, once you have put it together i'd be really interested in your thoughts, £75 is more then i had planned to pay but if its worth the money then i'll gladly pay it.

Cheers

Just what i need Mike

I am away at a star party now and pitched a toilet tent that i bought that is only just big enough....

Sunday was the first night and it only came with two guide ropes, 40-50mph gusts later and come monday morning the poles were cracked at the top. Much duct tape and some washing line later and it may just last me until the weekend.

Its a bit small anyway so this would be perfect, once you have put it together i'd be really interested in your thoughts, £75 is more then i had planned to pay but if its worth the money then i'll gladly pay it.

Cheers

Hi Alan,

Yeah, £75 is more than I wanted to spend, but I felt it would be good insurance along with a cover over the objective if the weather suddenly turned bad.  Hopefully it will dry up tomorrow so I can set it up outside. I'll post some detailed photos.

There is no floor, which is good, as I can easily move the tent to cover the scope. The tent has a fly screen at the top for ventilation and a separately attached rain cover, so condensation should not be an issue; this feature and the tent dimensions were the primary features I looked for. It appears to be of good quality, but only time will tell.

Much as I like Green Witch, their custom scope covers are exactly the same as the Gardman stacking garden chair covers which are half the price in garden centres. I have one of the Green Witch and two Gardman covers and apart from the colour of the bag and the paper insert describing the contents the covers are identical. I paid £12.50 for each Gardman cover at the Codicote Garden Centre about 3 years ago. I had just paid £25 from Green Witch.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late photo, had to wait till the SWG-3 Star Party to set up the Aquadome.

After putting it together, I easily lifted it up and set it over the scope, and its just as easy to lift it off once you unhook the tie downs from the tent stakes. When the door was zipped open we did noticed there was a clothes line attached around the upper inside walls. As it was a possible tangle hazard and not needed, I removed the line. The Aquadome was easy to set up and use, and provides a fair amount of protection from the elements. I added an OTA cover as a backup, but found the inside of the tent dry the next morning after a drizzly night. There was plenty of room and it covered the 54" footprint of our portable pier. Most important to me is that there is a ventilated top, which is covered by separate rain fly, so no worries about condensation dripping on the scope.

Edit : I like it !   :smile:  

post-21902-0-81206000-1414334052.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I use a plastic cover that came off a double mattress. I called into a bed shop a they gave me a one for free as they had one off a mattress they had just put on display and it nicely fits my 16inch dob. Its really thick plastic and is bomb proof.

It covers the scope and tucks under the feet so the 10stone of scope keeps it in place !

Cheers

No specific shop, just one on a local retail park that sold beds. I said I was:moving home and needed:a bag:to cover a double bed.

Cheers

Liar, liar pants on fire! :evil: Why not just say "any chance of one of yer mattress bags, please?"

After reading kenny K's post I hope my toilet tent holds up to the calm and clear skies we will enjoy while in Galloway.

Ian

Archived