SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC 2174 (The monkey head nebula)

Epicycle

Hi,

this is my latest attempt a bi-colour imaging (Ha and OIII), still exploring palettes and playing with different combinations.

The object is the wonderful Monkey Head nebula in Orion close to Gemini, just around the corner of the Jellyfish.

It's 10x1800s for each filter (Astrodon 5nm Ha and 3nm OIII) taken with Megrez 72 @4.8 and SXVR-H9, processed

in Pixinsight.

I'm quite happy with the way the OIII is showing at the moment. Some of the subs for Ha had a bit of trailing

(yeap, gusts of wind), but I don't think it shows too much.

Comments welcome! Thanks for looking.

Epicycle

Small with details in astrobin: get.jpg

Big: get.jpg

post-25876-0-14482600-1391281760_thumb.j

That's very nice Epicycle - love the colours.

Is it me or is something weird going on with the background?

Thanks Ian. The background looks fine in the astrobin site and in my laptop, it's probably the way the SL viewer handles the image.

I'm attaching the tiff file, is it better?

E.

NGC2174_v4.tif

It's a great image Epicycle - lovely details in there and a colour palette rich in blues which is tough for this target. There is a tad of green/blue to the background and a slight gradient, I think this is what Ian is aslo referring to - both are easy to remove (I've played with your TIF and will send a tweaked version by PM.) Did you process as an HOO image? Whatever, it's come out very well.

Martin

Thanks Martin! Your feedback was very useful as I hadn't noticed the gradient and the fact that it could use further sharpening.  The version that I append is the one I sent you via PM.

The image is R=Ha, G=.15*Ha+.85OIII and B=OIII, but then colours were adjusted using curves in Pixinsight  (particularly changing the Lab components) ,

cheers

E.

post-25876-0-57332300-1391334344_thumb.j

Looks really good :)  Possibly a bit too saturated? Lots of nice detail though - I like it.

Thank you! Maybe it's a bit too saturated, I'm seem to oscillate with this... I may revisit the processing after a break.

That is a first class image and you have the colours just right as well - very good!

Thank you Richard!

Amazing image, well captured.

Thanks!

Archived