SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Fordos' Observatory Build

Fordos Moon

Having followed this particular forum with great interest, and already been given lot's of good advice from some of you, I decided to build my own observatory in the form of a roll-off roof shed. YesYes encouraged me to share my build on here. Everything I do is going to be done for the first time but I figured it would be a fun experience and give me something real to focus on when I am not working in finance for the MOD!

I am fairly certain the phrase "over-engineered" will not follow in your comments. I will be aiming to have a finished product that is somewhere between the grand designs of Gina, YesYes, Bizi etc and the "that'll do / give it one more twist" approach of my father and father-in-law (albeit I am massively appreciative of their help and enthusiasm).

So here goes. I started about a month ago picking the wettest January since records began (confirmed today) - you'll appreciate not much has been done but then it leaves me more to share with you all!

There are 2 constraints from the outset. My southern horizon is blocked by huge trees. The property is rented so I need to make it all "removable". Don't tell anyone about my concrete base! It can one day be covered in gravel and I can put the plastic shed the landlord supplied on it.

Picture 1. Views to W, N, E and S.

Picture 2. View to SE.

post-26268-0-21260000-1391103338_thumb.j

post-26268-0-83091900-1391103352_thumb.j

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The area I have selected was previously used for a tiny plastic shed which now resides under the trees at the bottom of the garden. Which reminds me, my mother in laws whiskey-infused fella's lawnmower is still in there, and all the petrol has come out. Must tidy that up, bit of sand I guess?

So, between the rain showers, shuttering went in place, concrete block made, week + to cure, then concrete base for shed. Foam board and plastic sheeting as per Steve Richard's build worked a treat in keeping the two bits of concrete separate.

Thanks to dad and brother in law for helping me through one and 2 two-thirds big bags of ballast and about 8 bags of cement.

Father in laws old mixer came in very handy!

post-26268-0-62803700-1391191664_thumb.j

post-26268-0-30138200-1391191922_thumb.j

post-26268-0-17391100-1391191939_thumb.j

You're not wrong chaps my garden grass is soaked, thankfully the build area is slightly raised. Hoping for a chance to fix the 3x2s to the concrete on Sunday, will then start upwards! Handy that Screwfix were selling circular saws half price yesterday when I popped in to pick up a vapour sheet!

You need a new fence panel :)

Just had some of ours, that have somehow hung on in there (literally, by one screw) for the last few months, replaced finally today.

Anyway, good luck with the build - I like a good build thread.

Funny you should say that! Got a company coming round next week for a quote! Some of our fence panels are patched up with an old wardrobe. I refer you back to my mother in laws whiskey-soaked fella. He did the patching up!

Archived