Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

bright supernova in M82

robin_astro

If you have taken an image of M82 in the past 24 hours or so you might find an interloper in it. See

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/206053-bright-supernova-in-m82-mag-117

and  this image

http://meineko.sakura.ne.jp/ccd/PSN_J09554214+6940260.jpg

This sn  is currently at mag 11.7 , increasing over the next couple of weeks and could reach  mag 8.5, putting out more light the rest of the galaxy combined

Robin

I imaged this on the 9th of jan and on the 19th of  jan.  Sure enough I imaged M82 without and with the supernova!  Wish I'd realised at the time!  From now on I'm paying much more attention!  Still pretty exciting to have captured it even though I didn't know! :)

Hi 

I imaged this on the 9th of jan and on the 19th of  jan.  Sure enough I imaged M82 without and with the supernova!  Wish I'd realised at the time!  From now on I'm paying much more attention!  Still pretty exciting to have captured it even though I didn't know! :)

Hi,

Can you confirm the SN is definitely visible in your image from 19th Jan ?   The discovery image was taken at 19:26 UT on 21st Jan. Images taken earlier than this showeiing the sn could be important.

Cheers

Robin

Thanks

Robin

Hi,

I am not sure what I am looking at but I took this on the evening of 30/12/2013 about 11 pm . I attach the crop and the full image. Please have a look at the location of the proposed SN. The data has been heavily stretched.

Regards,

A.G

post-28808-0-60189800-1390428925_thumb.p

post-28808-0-07071500-1390429070_thumb.p

Just read this. Checked my images from Sunday night and it would seem that I've fluked me a supernova!

Taken Sunday night.

post-26977-0-52697100-1390429548_thumb.j

taken last weekend

post-26977-0-02146200-1390429803_thumb.j

The Mrs thinks im crackers because im so happy about a white dot on my 'space pictures'.

Hi 

Hi,

Can you confirm the SN is definitely visible in your image from 19th Jan ?   The discovery image was taken at 19:26 UT on 21st Jan. Images taken earlier than this showeiing the sn could be important.

Cheers

Robin

Thanks

Robin

Hi Robin,

This is my first light frame and data from Sunday

post-31009-0-25896100-1390431413_thumb.j

And my finshed, cropped image

post-31009-0-55341200-1390431545_thumb.j

Does this help?

Update:

Images here show the sn clearly visible from Jan 15th

www.k-itagaki.jp/psn-m82.jpg

Amazing that it was missed in such a popular object for 6 days. There must be quite a few people kicking themselves

Cheers

Robin

I've a few M82 images from late on Mon 20th (single 60s exposure @ISO1600)...

post-23986-0-54179400-1390431356_thumb.j

I didn't process it until this evening and when comparing with a previous image I'd taken (to see how much better the new kit is at astrophotography) I noticed a difference. Checking images on the internet I confirmed it was indeed a new "feature". Further googling confirmed it was a supernova. OK, so I wasn't first to spot it, but I still feel I made a "discovery", and just like when I spotted the comet Holmes outburst years ago independently I am well chuffed :smiley:

Just read this. Checked my images from Sunday night and it would seem that I've fluked me a supernova!

The Mrs thinks im crackers because im so happy about a white dot on my 'space pictures'.

My Mrs thinks the same about me :rolleyes:

Please ignor my last post, I just followed what I had done and it is probably a DECON artefact of somesort.

A.G

No I think you've got it (The object is in the right place and has the same slight oval shape as the other stars.)  It turns out this has been visible since 15th Jan,  just sitting there in plain view for 6 days waiting for someone to notice it so there are going to be a lot of pre discovery images.  

Here's the discovery story

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/maps-faculty/maps-news-publication/maps1405

Cheers

Robin

Cheers

Robin 

No I think you've got it (The object is in the right place and has the same slight oval shape as the other stars.)  It turns out this has been visible since 15th Jan,  just sitting there in plain view for 6 days waiting for someone to notice it so there are going to be a lot of pre discovery images.  

Here's the discovery story

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/maps-faculty/maps-news-publication/maps1405

Cheers

Robin

Cheers

Robin 

sorry, I was looking at space rangers post.  Your image looks normal - no supernova there

Cheers

Robin

Archived