SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

bright supernova in M82 (mag 11.7)

Caught early of course in this poplular target,  this should be one of the brightest sn for some time. Could  this be the first sn recorded by amateurs with medium/high resolution spectroscopy?  (nothing but clouds and rain forecast here though unfortunately)

Robin

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 9:13 AM
Subject: [baavss-alert] Re: PSN J09554214+6940260: bright (11.7 mag) supernova in M82

> "Classification of Supernova in M82 as a young, reddened Type Ia Supernova
>
> ATel #5786; Y. Cao (Caltech), M. M. Kasliwal (Carnegie/Princeton), A. McKay (UT Austin), A. Bradley (APO) report on behalf of the intermediate Palomar Transient Factory Collaboration
> on 22 Jan 2014; 08:47 UT
> Credential Certification: Yi Cao (ycao@astro.caltech.edu)
>
> Subjects: Optical, Supernovae
>
> At UT 2014 Jan 22.305, we obtained a spectrum of PSN_J09554214+6940260 (discoverer: S. J. Fossey) with the Dual Imaging Spectrograph on the ARC 3.5m telescope. We classify this as a Type Ia supernova with a Si II velocity of 20000 km/s. The best superfit match is SN2002bo at -14d. The supernova has a red continuum and deep Na D absorption.
>
> We further note that at UT 2014 Jan 21.158, the supernova is visible in Palomar 48-inch images but it is too saturated to measure a magnitude. iPTF upper limits (R=20.4 mag) are prior to Jan 13.
>
> Panchromatic follow-up is encouraged."
>
> http://www.astronomerstelegram.org/?read=5786

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A rough estimate suggests that it could reach Vmag 8.5 (based on the standard candle brightness of type 1 supernovae, which is also in agreement with sn 2011fe in M101 which was at twice the distance and reached V mag 9.8.  The spectroscopy report did mention that the spectrum was reddened by interstellar extinction though so we may have to wait and see.  The  spectrum suggests  we are ~14 days from maximum

Robin

Amazingly, this sn was visible in images from 15th January. there must be a lot of people who missed out on discovering this.  It was finally noticed by at 19:26 last night by Steve Fossey at the University of London Observatory at Mill Hill during a student training session.   Gianluca Massi took a spectrum using a Star Analyser the same night using his robotic setup, confirming a type 1a. (He has beaten the pros to a confirmation spectrum a couple of times, not sure if he was first this time though)

Cheers

Robin

Here's my humble pick taken tonight. To be honest I'm amazed i got anything at all, clear, cloud, hazy, cloud etc. Eventually i gave up, cleared up, the sky cleared up..... We all know this story...

Anyhow I'm still very pleased to get a pic and to see it visually. An entire star blowing up millions of years ago!!! Lets hope we get a good look over the coming days/weeks.  :rolleyes: 

post-15373-0-06527800-1390437407_thumb.j

I always wonder about how many inhabited systems in the local area get taken out by these supernova's when they go off. It must happen time and time again.

I wonder the same. Me and a mate (actually a member on here) decided to see how far SN remnants travel, then checked to see how far away Betelgeuse is. SN remnants travel a hell of a lot further! I wonder if Earth will be affected if/when Betelgeuse goes pop.

The  first amateur spectra are starting to come in now.

Paolo Beradi using a LHIRES III with 150l/mm grating and David Boyd with a LISA

http://www.spectro-aras.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=766

David Strange using a Star Analyser, posted on the RSpec forum

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39492103@N03/12094578923/in/photostream/ 

(This one also shows nicely  H alpha emission in the spectrum from the galaxy core and a star forming region)

Robin

for once the weather worked for me tonight. raining all day, cleared on the way home from work. got home to about 50/50 clear skies so put the grab and go 12" dob out. two minutes later I have the Sn in my sights with the 13mm Ethos at about 100x. easy with averted and better with direct vision within the mass of the galaxy - awesome!

went in to eat something while the scope cooled. went back out and complete cloud cover. at least the Sn is 'under the belt'.

Total newbie....where do I find it

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

If you download Stellarium and find galaxy M82 in Ursa Major, the supernova is in that galaxy. What scope do you have?

ha8a5apy.jpg5utamyga.jpg

These are a couple of star hop charts which should help too

Stu

Archived