SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Elusive M74

kerrylewis

I remember you were saying a while ago that this was your nemesis Kerry.

This is my sketch and notes about it from 2012.

http://darkskysketches.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/m74.html

Only thing I can suggest is if you are sure you are in the right area but still can't find it with your lowest power EP then increase the mag to mid power, you may have a smaller TFoV but your reducing the exit pupil as well which may help.

Nice sketch Mike - at least I know what I should be seeing! I note that you were using a 12" but my experience with other faint DSOs is that I can see them with the c9.25 even if detail is lacking. I expect that I might just see the core.

Not sure about tonight. It's clear at the moment but mist and fog forecast all night.

I'd say it's simply down to conditions.  Although clear last night the sky for me was in know way transparent - seeing is everything with these objects.  I saw it last year in my 4" so you certainly have more than enough fire power !  Good luck for next time.

andrew

Kerry - when I view M74 its usually using my 80mm finderscope to get the right position and then switch to the 10" Dob with my 21mm and 13mm Ethos to study the galaxy. I always start with Eta Pisces in the finder and look for stars 103 and 105. I draw a line between 105 and Eta and place the illuminated cross hairs in the middle of the two and marginally down. I then switch to the 21mm Ethos.

Yes it is faint and my rear garden is reasonable dark with no LP on the East to West horizon.

Good luck with your search its a great feelings to see all the Messier objects.

Hi Kerry.   Yes indeed, M74 is one of the harder Messier objects.  Tried loads of times from home with my 10" without success.

Finally bagged it with a 6" from the Peak District when on holiday in Sept 2012.

It's an easy star hop just over 1 deg east of Eta Aries, but a good sky is needed.

Regards, Ed.

• 6 months later...

Got it at last! Tried in the SCT earlier in the week but no go so trundled out the Dob last night hoping it would deliver - and it did! Just a small grey patch but a glorious sight to me as my 99th Messier. I was really chuffed but had to suppress a 2am whoop! Onwards to the century.......

Archived