SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tripod and mount.

Kel_Bo

Stability, ease of use and having an arm that allows you to move the bins around.

For objects at high elevation you need the tripod to have a bit of height to make it easier to observe...trouble is height and stability do not allways work together.

Some people will invest in parrallelogram mounts.

I was reading an article the other day and this guy used a monopod and was very happy.

I would recommend a good photographic tripod, ideally with an elevating column. Unlike most astro products, they're mass produced, so tend to be of higher quality for a reasonable price, especially if bought used.

I've got a Manfrotto 028 tripod (black, geared wind-up elevating column), which works brilliantly with a Manfrotto 501HDV fluid video head and 60mm or 80mm binoculars, mounted backwards to get good zenith access. More money would get you a more lightweight carbon fibre setup, which might be more tippy. The Manfrotto 475 is similar, I believe.

Also higher in the price spectrum, the Berlebach tripods are beautiful, especialy in the natural wood finish to my eyes.

I would recommend a good photographic tripod, ideally with an elevating column. Unlike most astro products, they're mass produced, so tend to be of higher quality for a reasonable price, especially if bought used.

I've got a Manfrotto 028 tripod (black, geared wind-up elevating column), which works brilliantly with a Manfrotto 501HDV fluid video head and 60mm or 80mm binoculars, mounted backwards to get good zenith access. More money would get you a more lightweight carbon fibre setup, which might be more tippy. The Manfrotto 475 is similar, I believe.

Also higher in the price spectrum, the Berlebach tripods are beautiful, especialy in the natural wood finish to my eyes.

I meant the Manfrotto 475 (aluminium) is similar to the 028.

A shame Jessops has scaled down. if you ordered online to collect in shop, the prices used to be comparable to webshops, the advantage being you could try them out for real.

Try to get along to a gathering of astronomy folks, and see what they use.

• 11 months later...

Being tall (1.90), but with persistent lower back niggles, I find myself in a quandary of needing a pod that will go up to my eye level, but which gives me an easy/comfortable position to point the binocs up past 45o; keep wondering if a pod with movable centre column (like the Benro A-297OF) would be more versatile for astro use than a fixed column.

Being tall (1.90), but with persistent lower back niggles, I find myself in a quandary of needing a pod that will go up to my eye level, but which gives me an easy/comfortable position to point the binocs up past 45o; keep wondering if a pod with movable centre column (like the Benro A-297OF) would be more versatile for astro use than a fixed column.

The Manfrotto 475B with its geared column would do just fine. I am 180cm and trust me, there is a lot of space to spare when deploying the legs or central column.

Hi for some years I have been using a lighting stand (made by IANARO  )

It has a tripod base of reasonable foot print  BUT best of all it is capable of  All the vertical height 

that you could possibly wish for ( nearly 8 feet)

it cost me 50p at  a car boot and all I did was to change  the top

Sawing off the bolt and fitting a pan/tilt head of a dead photographic tripod

it certainly works for me

have a  good day & C.S.

Robin

I would recommend a good photographic tripod.......

I've got a Manfrotto 028 tripod (black, geared wind-up elevating column), which works brilliantly with a Manfrotto 501HDV fluid video head and 60mm or 80mm binoculars, mounted backwards to get good zenith access. 

Used Manfrotto tripods, discontinued or current models, selling on eBay, are excellent for binoculars, as long as you get the correct Manfrotto head to go with it. 

2 way pan heads such as 501 or 503 models, as well as the Manfrotto grip action ball heads, 322RC2 or 3265, work well with binoculars, depenging upon the aperture.

I use Manfrotto 3246 tripods also known as 028. I also have the light weight Manfrotto3021. I have an older Manfrotto 3036 as well.

For smaller aperture binoculars such as 50mm or 70mm, certain individuals prefer monopods & pistol grip heads.

Which ever model that you get, just make sure that it is much taller than yourself, otherwise your views of the night sky will be too limited, in terms of approaching zenith.

Stan

• 2 months later...

The Manfrotto 475B with its geared column would do just fine. I am 180cm and trust me, there is a lot of space to spare when deploying the legs or central column.

Belated thanks on this one, took delivery of a Manfrotto 475B today - yep, its plenty big enough, I could even wear platform boots  :-) 

Initially bought with the 391RC2 head - looks dwarfed by the pod itself.  Now for a night with my 20x80 binocs.

A monopod with trigger-grip ball-head from a reclining chair is one of the best, simple options

I totally agree with Michael.This is a very comfortable set up,even with larger/heavier binos such as 15x70's. And what you save on the tripod and head can go towards a REALLY comfy recliner. :smiley:

• 3 weeks later...

For years I used a very good Bogen tripod and I was quite happy with the setup, as long as I didn't try to observe anything over 45 degrees above the horizon.  Then a few years ago I purchased a P-Mount and now there is no way I would go back to using a camera tripod.  With the P-Mount, I can observe anywhere from the horizon to near the zenith.  When I have it properly leveled and balanced, it is a joy to lock the altitude and just gently nudge the bins along the azimuth with my eye sockets - fantastic for sweeping the Milky.

Archived