Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SW eq2 90? or go Sw 102 eq3?

Hi I have had a telescope in the past a reflector quite a long time a go. im looking at a refractor this is what I want I have done a lot of research im prity set on a refractor. I know I enjoy looking at bright objects most, id say pretty much exclusively ie moon & planets that's my interest.  just viewing  not interested in AP. ive looked around you read this op that opinion it can get challenging. im looking at value for money and I prity much put it in my car boot I do have a large car. drive 3 miles get it out and study the moon and find a planet, don't really want to maintain it grab and go I want quality close up viewing of planets and the moon with the best detail I can, having said that its weather the extra money on the 102 eq3 is really a benefit for me I'm simple I point star hop the scope about and play around I'm even wondering now if its better value to get the az mount weather I can get a sturdier az mount than an eq type then get a better scope? as I know the price difference is quite different in a budget but id strecht the 300 mark if it was really worth it for me or weather ill be just as happy for what I want to do with a 140£ eq90 I may even consider the 120 on the EQ3 really pushing it at 350 I mean I see these are massive differences but I'm concerned about I suppose quality of viewing and ease of use I know refractor is the best for viewing for what I want well I'm pretty sure some good advice I would appreciate and any experience on the two or even 3 of them would be good, mayb a completely diff tripod with a sw that's better value and sturdier any good advice would be awesome to finish my decision. the thing I know is I like looking it blows your mind its weather the difference is really going to be anything special I suppose Thanks in advance 

Hi and welcome to SGL.

You have loads of options, and yes it's challenging to find the best kit for your needs.

It's tough to give help and come up with your best option, but maybe a few comments could help.

If your mind is set on getting a refractor, and your interests are mainly moon and planets with 'quality close up views'  then a short focus refractor is not your best option. The short focus refractor is best suited to low power wide field views (unless you spend a fortune) rather than high power planetary.

So with that in mind, I'd get a longer focal ratio refractor, it will give better views of your intended targets.  You may perhaps consider getting an EQ mount with drives for the higher powers you will be using, you can get by with a manual mount (that's what I do) but something to consider, only you can say what would suit you best.   I love the simplicity of an alt-az mount, but they don't suit everyone.

One downside to a longer refractor is that you need a sturdier (so more money and less portable) mount to stop the shakes that a long tube is more prone to.

Lots to think about, I know......I wouldn't rush into a decision.  Maybe come back with your thoughts and hopefully get further input off myself or others.

Regards, Ed.

Edit - this one is just in your budget http://www.firstlightoptics.com/evostar/skywatcher-evostar-102-eq3-2.html

Ed`s comments are exactly right a SW 102 will give nice widefield views of clusters and the bigger nebula, galaxys but not planets although the moon is ok but will show CA around the edge.

If you like the idea of a long focal length refractor for planets then a small MAK gets close but you loose the fainter stuff its all about compromises i suppose.

Alan

Ed`s comments are exactly right a SW 102 will give nice widefield views of clusters and the bigger nebula, galaxys but not planets although the moon is ok but will show CA around the edge.

If you like the idea of a long focal length refractor for planets then a small MAK gets close but you loose the fainter stuff its all about compromises i suppose.

Alan

Hi Alan, yes I'm sure that's right, and a small Mak is a lot smaller in length due to its folded light path, so less demanding on the mount, more portable, and zero CA.

A small Mak has fairly quick cooldown, unlike its larger cousins.

If you don't mind losing the low power wide field, ticks a lot of boxes.   You can always get out the binos for the wide views.  A Mak and binos make a nice combo.

To the OP, another option to consider.

Regards, Ed.

Despite saying you fancy a refractor, a 200p skywatcher will give you much better high power views of the Moon and planets than any refractor or Maksutov in the same price range. You don't need goto to find planets, you say you have a large car and at the moment have no interest in AP. In my view, for lunar and planetary views, the other options are a compromise and a downgrade. :smiley:

wow Hi and thanks for quick responses yes I think I've narrowed it down and think the higher buget is going to be wiser than getting an Evostar 90 the link you linked Brown Dwarf is the Skywatcher Evostar 102 (EQ3-2) that's one I was looking at and I I've found it at 309, this possibly Sky-Watcher Explorer-150PL (EQ3-2) Parabolic Newtonian Reflector Telescope also looks a good option although im not sure if the view will be clearer more detailed plus has bit more maintenance looks bulkier not sure on weights ie which is heavier, the Skywatcher 200 Dobsonian I also have been looking at but does look very bulky and possibly heavy? I think maybe a pain to be storing away getting out putting in the car ect. On the plus side those 2 are cheaper last is possibly the best scope being a dobsonian but its about usage it needs to be fairly easy to move about I think I'm setting on the Evostar 102 but still not descided they all had good write up's the 200 a very good write up be nice if someone has used them?

• 2 weeks later...

considering the 200p dob also thinking 120 evostar on eq5 if I can find good secondhand  one or possibly a tal 100rs peeps keep saying dob for the price but im really more interested in planets and moon and not DSO's

• 6 months later...

Archived