Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Photoshop tips for planets, please have a go!!

NIGHTBOY

Here's a pic of Jupiter I took last night. Could any improvements be made in photoshop or registax for that matter?? I found in registax on the wavelets its too easy to over do it.

Any tips welcomed and you're more than welcome to copy the image and have a try!

looking forward to peoples results.

Merry xmas. :)

Bigjup_zps37aab0ef.png

Best I can do...

Jupedit_zps8215ae94.png

Just gave it a bash using my own Jupiter pre-sets in Registax 6, I think you need more images in your stack to get better detail.

(Note: Wavelet setting, Histogram Blue Channel reduction, reduction of brightness and contrast.)

Not perfect, but has helped me a lot hope this gives you some ideas.  

(See this post by James who produces some great planetary stuff.)

gallery_32740_2922_36969.jpg

Not sure that's the best way to go with wavelets as what you are doing is increasing noise/sharpening by moving the slider and then reducing the noise/sharpening by increasing the denoise setting and/or reducing the sharpening setting. You may also want to just use wavelet 2 and maybe a touch of 3 and 1, though not too much.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/184821-beginners-guide-to-stacking-planetary-images-with-autostakkert2/?hl=+registax

Check the above post for details on how to stack with ST!2 and to use Registax to extract detail.

I just used his settings and tweaked them further, sorry I did not save the image, just a screen shot.

BTW, +-1100 are enough images I think the image I used has already got compression in it.

If you use your originals and re-stack  then use registax you should be able to get something better than I managed.

@ Freddie, playing with the sliders is part art part science, I find a aggressive start then a gradual smoothing pulls out best detail on my images.

I am new to this so if you can suggest better setting please do as I would like to try them out on my archive data. - Thx.

This image is 990 bitmaps best 85% used in the stack with a aggressive denoise and sharpen.

gallery_32740_2903_5622.jpg

I'm not used to imaging with your cam or focal length but as I say in my post the lower wavelets may be a better way to go. If you look in the imaging section you will tend to find these are what a lot of people are using. Stuart (Space Cowboy) I believe uses the same cam as you so you may want to have a look at some of his excellent images. Although the final image can be part science part art, I think knowing the science of the wavelets, sharpening and denoise will help. Instead of adding noise with the wavelets and then increasing denoise, you may find that smaller adjustments on the wavelets without the need to denoise may produce a better image. Neil Philips is also an advocate of this approach. Each setup is different though and each person is aiming for something different. You may also want to try an RGB balance in R6 to get a better colour balance. I hope these thoughts are of some help to you.

I'm not used to imaging with your cam or focal length but as I say in my post the lower wavelets may be a better way to go. If you look in the imaging section you will tend to find these are what a lot of people are using. Stuart (Space Cowboy) I believe uses the same cam as you so you may want to have a look at some of his excellent images. Although the final image can be part science part art, I think knowing the science of the wavelets, sharpening and denoise will help. Instead of adding noise with the wavelets and then increasing denoise, you may find that smaller adjustments on the wavelets without the need to denoise may produce a better image. Neil Philips is also an advocate of this approach. Each setup is different though and each person is aiming for something different. You may also want to try an RGB balance in R6 to get a better colour balance. I hope these thoughts are of some help to you.

Thanks for the advice, please see this post

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/203065-jupiter-advice-for-the-weekend/

Archived