Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telescope through a window?

I've been considreing purchasing a telescope for some time but it's always been on the back burner.  After coming across this excellent forum, I'm thinking about it more  But I have some restrictions that prevent me from travelng to dark sky areas and winter temps can be harsh here in New England, so I thought I'd ask what may be a dumb question but important to my decision on wether or not to spend the money for a good telescope.

I know that it's never good in normal photography to shoot through glass when you can avoid it.

I assume the same principle applies to powerful telescopes.

So my question is: Is the degradation in image quality bad enough that it should prevent me from buying a good scope if I have to use it most of the time from inside the house, looking out through a large double paned window?   Or is it possible that since it's focusing so far away, it won't be bothered much for routine planetary exploration?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not recommended. I've tried it and the loss of clarity on the Moon was appreciable, though there was still stuff to see. Can't speak for deep-sky viewing. The biggest nuisance might be having only a limited patch of sky to look at at any given time.

On the other hand, observing in non-ideal conditions is better than not observing at all! And I can well see that observing inside in the warm would be preferable to freezing your nads off.

Cold nights here in WI as well. I just put on a few extra layers and head out for about an hour and a half, 2 hours max. Those cold, clear skies can hold some awesome views. My sessions may not be that long but I try to get out and view at least 3 targets.

I've done so, but only as a very last resort. Or to be exact, I was slowly recovering from a hellish dose of flu.

Lower powers only. Don't even consider opening the window, even by a crack, or the mix of cold/warm air will cause merry hell.

Andy.

I use my refractor through double glazing and the moon is a perfect target.  Hardly any difference from being outside.  I managed to get Jupiter in view just once but it wasn't great - I think due to the steep angle to the glass.  But the moon is a great place and sitting in comfort wandering from crator to crator, moon map on lap top, a cold glass of white wine --- A great couple of hours  :smiley:

Never had any success with my reflector though.  But have considered setting it up outside with a web cam stuck in it, long cables through the window, viewing on the lap top.  Just wanted to share things with someone who can't get outside.  I'm thinking the image will be poor but I will try it in the new year.

But good luck OP.  It is a great pastime  :cool:

I've had some good views of the moon with a webcam so I don't see how it wouldn't work running the cables in side through a crack in the window. Biggest part I think would be getting the scope aligned and focused. 

And unless it was a GOTO mount I think there would be an issue tracking.

Like has already been said... It won't be ideal, but its better than watching telly :-)

The best thing about it is that when the weather gets better, you get a free / massive upgrade in viewing just by opening the door and popping outside

For planetary work you can look through a window as a last resort, or as a tester before deciding whether the view is good enough to drag all of your kit outdoors.

Saturn is at the front of our house so we tend to view it through the bedroom windows at low magnifications, for the reasons stated above.

Once the kit is outside, the sharpness and clarity of saturns rings are greatly improved.

So it can be done as tester before going Alfrsco.

But it is not ideal.

I do agree that observing through a window is not ideal, but if that is the only way you can manage to observe...............its better then nothing.

From personal experience, i am in a wheelchair and there are certain times of the year when i cant/wont go outside to observe. When this happens, i am more then happy to observe through double glazed windows. Ive found over the yrs, that the only objects that really look rubbish and not worth observing through said windows is the planets. The poor quality of glass causes the light from the planets to be spread into different colours and you have an image of 3 planets.

Just about anything else is fine to observe,under condition that there is not heating on in the room, so the room you observe from is as close to the outside ambient temp.

Anything is better then nothing and it has worked for me for yrs...................although i DO get ouytside as much as possible into my back garden.

• 1 year later...

Hi

To date, I've done all my imaging through open windows. I do have to let the room cool (brrr!) but thermals seem only a problem if there's a big difference between inside and outside. There are thermals initially when it's very cold outside though things stabilise after a while. As mentioned, the restricted patch of sky is limiting and frustrating at times. On the other hand, it's probably made the dark art easier to learn, especially being able to do it from the relative comfort of my living room! I've been imaging for just over a year now and have reached the stage where I really need to get outside. But, living in a 2nd floor flat means I now need to get a portable system together that I can manage to get down 2 flights of stairs. I've got myself a laptop and I'm getting a 130pds to put on my AVX mount. I've yet to get an adequate battery. I also need a trolley and some dew prevention (never an issue before!). I have to be able to manage everything on my own and don't own a car. I wish I did, it would make things a lot easier and give me the ability to get away from the city light pollution. Anyway, I'm slowly getting there. Hopefully, in the Spring, I'll be ready to take the al fresco plunge! :)

Louise

I didnt anticipate just how cold astronomy was until I started! 

Another avenue to take could be going down the computer controlled Astrophotography route. This can get expensive (so you should know that before starting!), but you can control the telescope and the camera from the comfort of a nice warm room! You will of course have to set the scope and computer up, but that is a pretty fast process. 

Depending on the scope you get and how well you align it, you can also move around the different targets using a free program called stellarium. 

Food for thought!

What would be really interesting is if you tried observing only through a window for a period of time (eg regularly for 2-3 months) and then took your scope outside to look at some of the things you've only seen through the window. I think there's one of three outcomes;

1. You think that the view from indoors is not sufficiently worsened by glass that the benefit of warmth and comfort outweigh any improvement in viewing by going outdoors.

2. Neither inside or out is worth the hassle so you don't observe at all.

3. You'll decide that any extra discomfort endured by going outside is well worth it for the improvement in the views (not to mention the extra amounts of sky you'll have access to at ant one time).

My money's on number 3 but if you try this experiment I'd love to hear your conclusions. However, you'll need to be quick because it won't be long before those pesky short nights start rolling in!

Have been toying with building something for remotely controlling the scope for some time.

THe USB from web cam can be pushed over ethernet - the scope control box can be connected over the same to a computer running stellarium. Something to remotely focus the scope would be useful too.

I would also have a remote cam set up to watch for scope collisions, just in case...

r.

Dan

You dont go into detail about what prevents you getting outside, or what your budget is like. 

But if you have the ability and funds, an astrophotography set up might be ideal for you - set it all up outside, then use a laptop from inside to control the scope and the camera. 

It's not quite the same as getting out and observing, but you might get some satisfaction from it?

For what its worth, I spent 12 months away from home and the only way i could observe was through a double glazed window. The only scope I had with me was my 70mm mak . I thought I was in for a 12 month break from astronomy when on the first night Jupiter shouted just above the tree line. I thought I would give it a go, first close all doors to eliminate any reflections in the glass, do not be tempted to open the window as this will make observing impossible. I gave it a go, I was shocked to find that I could easily make out detail and the view was quite good . I had a most enjoyable 12 months like that , Im not trying to say that its better than outside because it is not, but if its your only chance of observing then it can still be very rewarding. Start off with a small scope on a simple mount and see how it goes.

Explain to your neighbours what you are up to , if PC plod sees you he may jump to the wrong conclusion :-).

• 1 year later...

I had not  imagined aiming a telescope out the window. Only as a kid with a small refractor,

I just had several  surgeries in the shoulder, bicep, and clavicle area.

Been outside observing lifelong until my recent injury, and I won't be able to lift  equipment for some time.

Blessed to have a wife that puts up- and helped  me set up my SCT

with my solar rig inside the living room facing East.

Yes of course much better set up outside. When I heal .

But I got in a few early hours and some good views and nice proms .

I just need a few hours max -

My ERF is only 70 mm so seeing was not so much of an issue.

This was not ideal but wonderful to still observe

FullSizeRender.jpg

Archived