Narrowband

Orion Nebula on a perfect British night

antimorris

Orion Nebula (Messier 42) from a few nights ago. ~8 hours of data on my Nikon D7000. Best night I have seen here in my little spot of England for the past 3 years. It was absolutely perfect out! I had been wanting to image this again for years as I hadn't since I first started astrophotography and was mightily pleased that I finally got around to it. I have a little bit of coma in the image still just as I forgot to use my field flattener. I processed some of it out, but didn't want to crop too much or lose too much around the edges by using lens correction too much. Aside from that, I was quite happy. Almost makes me want to use my Nikon more and my CCD a little less!

This was done with a stock Nikon D7000 at ISO200 and Orion EON80ED. Processed in Photoshop CS5. 

Exposure details: 

Integration Time:

20x60"

12x120"

10x480" 

12x600" 

16x900" 

Total Integration: 8.1 hours

I have also done a writeup on my blog about the processing as I had several people ask after I first threw it up on my Facebook.

More image details/higher res: My website or on Astrobin

p70195490-3.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, love it! Impressed that it is with an unmodded camera too, the colours look great. What made you choose the nikon? Increased fov, I presume?

I'm contemplating a CCD camera, but this makes me think twice about what my canon 60D is actually capable of when used properly....

Hi Anna,

This is unbelievable work, this is stunning for a good dedicated CCD never mind a DSLR!!! Your processing skills are top notch, big thanks for the video tutorial, I shall folow that step by step once I gather a good data of M42 :)

Congrats on such a fine image!

Brilliant, Anna.  What Bortle scale sky was this taken from?

How do you like the Colour Efex Plugins?  I have been debating about picking them up and based on your image it looks like it's worth the cash.

Roughly Bortle 6-6.5 (although that is my own estimate). 

I really like the Color Efex Pro plugins - although I have and use them for my regular photography stuff more than astro. Have just started using them in conjunction with my actions and own Photoshop processing to help bring out some fainter detail. Still playing around with them for astro stuff

Archived