Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

C8 tolerance to eyepieces?

emadmoussa

I have a range of EP's which i use with my 8" SCT. Some are cheap,some or middle of the road and a couple are expensive. I cant see any difference between any of them apart from the better quality ones do give better views,so SCT's are forgiving but quality does count.

Vixen NPL's are great and not expensive and they do work well in the SCT.

I should say I spent many years with decent quality Plossls with my SCT, and upgraded the 10mm to LV 9mm and 7mm for reasons of eye relief more than anything else. Only when I started to see the limitations of the kit I had did I start to replace it. I would suggest spending lots of time at the EP before thinking about replacing them. If you already have fast scopes, don't worry about their performance in slow scopes. If you like waht you see in a fast scope, the slower SCT will certainly not show any defects you did not see before

I should say I spent many years with decent quality Plossls with my SCT, and upgraded the 10mm to LV 9mm and 7mm for reasons of eye relief more than anything else. Only when I started to see the limitations of the kit I had did I start to replace it. I would suggest spending lots of time at the EP before thinking about replacing them. If you already have fas scopes, don't worry about their performance in slow scopes. If you like waht you see in a fast scope, the slower SCT will certainly not show any defects you did not see before

+1

Quality definitely does shine through though, so the supplied eyepieces you get with new telescopes won't be as good as the TeleVue eyepieces, it's just the performance will be closer at F/10 than F/4.

I do wonder sometimes about speed of scopes and its relevance with non AP.

My brothers has a P200 on an EQ5 HD it is in great condition which I believe it is an F5 or F7 and he has some pretty well known high quality eyepieces.

Comparisons have been performed when the scopes are side by side in the same garden at the same time looking at the same objects.

The overall decision is the observations are better on my SCT with the TV eyepieces. :smiley:

I do wonder sometimes about speed of scopes and its relevance with non AP.

My brothers has a P200 on an EQ5 HD it is in great condition which I believe it is an F5 or F7 and he has some pretty well known high quality eyepieces.

Comparisons have been performed when the scopes are side by side in the same garden at the same time looking at the same objects.

The overall decision is the observations are better on my SCT with the TV eyepieces. :smiley:

I think it is relevant when you are talking about TFOV, otherwise (with quality eyepieces) it makes little to no difference. One thing to remember is that with any given eyepiece, an F/5 will have a field of view that is 4x that of an F/20 - certainly not insignificant.

I think it is relevant when you are talking about TFOV, otherwise (with quality eyepieces) it makes little to no difference. One thing to remember is that with any given eyepiece, an F/5 will have a field of view that is 4x that of an F/20 - certainly not insignificant.

But what about the clarity as opposed to the size ?

But what about the clarity not the size ?

From what I can remember of my views through F/10 compared to F/5, it doesn't really make any difference. It's not so reliable to rely on memories, but I could probably set-up a side by side with an F/5 Achro and F/7.5 ED Frac if it would help? :) (Same aperture)

I think we can trust your memory you are quite a smart young man from all accounts :smiley:  A comparison is always good to read though, so please feel free :grin:

I sometimes wonder if I have triangle eyes as I do not get the same observed results as others ( My brother & TFOV apart as that is simple maths)

Archived