Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Wooden rotating observatory

Graham Darke

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks quite pretty, but I can imagine being in there for four or five hours, forgetting that the entire thing is rotating and discovering that the door won't open when you want to leave because it's up against next door's fence or something like that :)

I'm not convinced by the practicality of it.  I think you'd want it to open right to the zenith.

James

The wood one looks good if you want to do some visual with a non-aligned scope or binoculars, but i think would be too restrictive for imaging or if you wanted to use goto as such a small patch of sky would be visible at any one time, unless one could put a pier in the middle of the shed and rotate it around the pier, but still as gina said the zenith is out of reach. But i like the fact it looks unlike an observatory.

James

I had an idea the other day to build a straw bale observatory.  The warm room might at least be quite cosy :)

James

I live with my Girlfriend and her family who just happen to be Hay farmers and i never even thought of this!  a nice warm windbreak that can be assembled in a few minutes and then put back in the barn after use.

I could kiss you!  But i wont :p

I live with my Girlfriend and her family who just happen to be Hay farmers and i never even thought of this!  a nice warm windbreak that can be assembled in a few minutes and then put back in the barn after use.

I could kiss you!  But i wont :p

I wouldn't.  Not unless you're fond a few days growth of beard, anyhow :D

I was thinking of something rather more permanent; straw bale buildings are rare but not at all unknown and there are examples of two-storey buildings using bales for the load-bearing structure.  The only real faff is that ideally they need to be lime-rendered to allow the straw to breathe.

A few small bales put together might make a very nice little temporary shelter though.

James

I wouldn't.  Not unless you're fond a few days growth of beard, anyhow :D

I was thinking of something rather more permanent; straw bale buildings are rare but not at all unknown and there are examples of two-storey buildings using bales for the load-bearing structure.  The only real faff is that ideally they need to be lime-rendered to allow the straw to breathe.

A few small bales put together might make a very nice little temporary shelter though.

James

You might get some new pets James as mice love straw bales. 

Reminds me of Wallace & Grommits A Grand Day Out where the mice are all watching the rocket take off with sunglasses & nothing happens until they release the handbrake!

You might get some new pets James as mice love straw bales. 

You do have to construct it so the mice can't get in :)  I believe it works very well though.  So much so that some builders have taken to putting a little "truth window" into the structure of the wall somewhere out of the way so people can see that it genuinely is built of straw.

James

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

I am thinking of buying one of these and my hesitation comes from the roof opening. I am told that the roof has been modified and will now open to allow viewing upto the zenith and have asked for pictures to be sent to me - which is taking some time..... the website appears out of date. It isnt cheap  for sure the 2.3 metre version is about £500 less than a 2.2 m pulsar dome. If anybody has one please could you contact me?

cheers,

Martin

Meade LX90 10", SW MN190, SW EQ Pro 120

I have just taken the plunge for a remote operation of a Pulsar 2.2M, much gelt but fully sorted and the difference in using your own Obsy is amazing, what in increase in enjoyment factor!!. Pulsar were superb, the sales quote that sold them for me from Gary was " We sell all over the world and our systems have to work from -40 to +50 out of the box" I am 20 miles down the road SOLD.

regards

Mike

• 5 months later...

Anyone seen one of these in the flesh? Look interesting alternative to a dome and maybe a bit less conspicuous. Might be a bit snug in there....

www.observatory.uk.com

Hi Graham

Did you do any more research on this Obsy? I'm seriously looking to get a permanent setup and thought this might be the answer. As you know I live on the Coast road and a conventional dome would draw too much attention. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as always.

Brenda

The original web address takes me to a questionable website involving very fat ladies and text in Chinese or Japanese.

The second website (above) opens normally but the button for their observatories takes me back to the fat ladies. Very odd!

Olly

The original web address takes me to a questionable website involving very fat ladies and text in Chinese or Japanese.

The second website (above) opens normally but the button for their observatories takes me back to the fat ladies. Very odd!

Olly

Looks like they may not have renewed that domain and something underhand has happened to it since.  Which probably doesn't bode well for the state of their business...

James

Olly

I did contact them about prices and informed them of  the irregularities regarding the link, thought they might have done something by now?

Regards

JemC

Brenda before you make any decisions make sure you have them provide details of the floor plan and height inside - some of these buildings may have cross members, trusses in the roof, that limit your scope height.  What about being able to view past the zenith, is that important to you?

Jim

Archived