SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Olympus Binocular 10x50 DPS-1 v Celestron Up Close 10x50

Hermit

Hi

I own the above Celestrons which I keep in the car, they were only £20 at the time. However, I can't help thinking that you get what you pay for, and I've read good reviews for the Olympus (~£50) on Amazon, rrp £100). I can't spend much more that £50 for better (?) binos to keep in the house for casual observing from the garden, but does anyone know if I'd notice an improvent compared with the Celestrons?

Thanks, Dave

Thanks. The review is for the 8x40, but it gives me an idea of the quality of Olympus. Was considering buying the 8x40 after reading that review, purely for the reduction in weight, but I prefer the extra magnification of the 10x50 and fhe aperture for just a few quid extra. Cheers.

I had a pair of 8x40 ranger binoculars by olympus (DPS-r I think) and they were good but having purchased a pair of 7x35 action EX to replace them I can honestly say that the action ex is brighter, lighter and have a wider field of view (9 degrees vs 4 or 5). You may lose 1x magnification but they are lighter meaning you actually see more detail as the binoculars don't shake so much in your hand. Dont underestimate the value of the fov as well, 9 degrees vs 4 or even 6 allows me to see a whole lot more and also means that the area of sharp view is greater than in a 4 or 6 degree binocular.

Hermit I bought a pair of these a few months ago from amazon, they are excellent amazing views of the moon, Jupiter looks great with clear views of its moons and I've seen the andromeda galaxy, Orion Nebula and are also excellent for both splitting binary stars and viewing clusters and I haven't even got them onto a tripod yet! Can't recommend enough seriously

I had a pair of revelation astro 20x80 binoculars which were big and very difficult hold by hand. So I placed them on my tripod and guess what the image stabilised to be a lot clearer. But... I certainly didn't think of them as an alternative to a telescope. Takes just as long to setup, cant see as much or have as many uses as a telescope. At 20x80 you are really limited to the larger deep sky objects and globulars. I switched to a pair of 7x50 Essenbach binoculars and the difference was astonishing. 20x80 was a novelty but the binoculars were of poor quality and the sharpness didnt match the Essenbach binoculars. 

My opinion is a high quality pair of smaller low power binoculars are far more useful than a large unwieldy binocular.  The smaller pair can be held by hand for long periods and fit many purposes, stargazing, birding, watching your neighbours chase after there dustbin as it blows down the road! By the time you have setup your monster 20x100 or 20x80 binoculars the clouds have rolled in and that moment of clarity has gone!

• 7 months later...

Thanks for your replies, just ordered the Olympus after getting frustrated with my Celestrons last night and having some birthday money burning a hole in my pocket... Still got £45 left, might see what the Olympus case is like before putting the flames out. Cheers.

The Olympus arrived yesterday so I tested them last night. Definitely an improvement over the Celestron, better contrast, not murky, sharper. Very pleased. Thanks guys!

I was out observing with my DPS1's this morning between 1 to 2 am,for the first time in ages,and really enjoyed views of the milky way, double cluster,M13,Brochi's cluster and the other usual suspects.I'd forgotten just how good these bins are for the money!

• 1 year later...

I'm loving my Olympus DPS-I 10x50... great binos for day and night time viewing. Comparing to a pair of Bushnell 20x70 (look same as the celestron binos just rebadged), they are noticeably clearer.

Archived