Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The 30 Minute Challenge

Stevie P

Folloing on from a post I made in early November :-

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/198663-is-this-acceptable-or-only-30-mins-of-data/

I am finding myself frustrated by lack of time and the clouds.... (set up three times last week, clear skies, but by the time it was dark the good ole clouds had rolled in and put paid to another night..

So with the limited time  I set myself a challenge to see what I could achieve with only 30 mins of subs, I have included three images of what I have so far.

I would be interested to see what others could achieve with the same limitations, so are you up for a "30 Minute Challenge" ?

Not too many rules :-

Only 30 mins total of Subs (1 x 30m, 2 x 15m, 15 x 2m, 30 x 1m, you get the idea...),(Be Honest)

Unlimited dark's, flats, bias etc.

Include some capture information with any image submitted.

Thats about it..

So heres my attempts :- all taken with a SW200P, HEQ5 Pro unguided, Canon 1000D at ISO800

post-28743-0-84733800-1385379348_thumb.j

M31

15 x 2m Lights

10 X 2m Darks

10 x Flats

10 x Bias

post-28743-0-09201400-1385379556_thumb.j

M45

12 x 90s Lights

10 X 90s Darks

10 x Flats

10 x Bias 

post-28743-0-07113400-1385379623_thumb.j

M81

20 x 90s Lights

10 X 90s Darks

10 x Flats

10 x Bias

Any One Else Up for It ????

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be hilarious, not interesting! I have a scope at f/15 and i can usually manage 60 second subs before i get trailing and my field of view is so narrow i could just about fit a planet in it :)

I'll this this game to the deep sky imagers.

But i'll be watching.

James

A new sport is born!!!

What would happen if it were only 30min processing time? Or, was it?

Stupid Question from the newbie here - Do the "s" as in "20x90s Light and 10x90s Darks" for M81 stand for seconds??

Great pictures. I always assumed that these sort of shots took all night.

Paul

A new sport is born!!!

What would happen if it were only 30min processing time? Or, was it?

Stupid Question from the newbie here - Do the "s" as in "20x90s Light and 10x90s Darks" for M81 stand for seconds??

Great pictures. I always assumed that these sort of shots took all night.

Paul

Hi Paul, you are correct 90 second exposures..

Now if you want to join in, you get to only use 20 x 90s exposure for the allowed 30 mins..

That's a seriously great project! We spend many hours and nights aiming to capture the 'perfect' image, when you can get great results for less effort. Nice results there.

The game is afoot! Once more unto the breach, dear friends.....

Hi Paul, you are correct 90 second exposures..

Now if you want to join in, you get to only use 20 x 90s exposure for the allowed 30 mins..

Sounds like a challenge!

However, given that the sum total of my astro photography has been holding my phone to the eyepiece of my Dob (see moon snapshot thumbnail <------)

i might have to put a T adaptor on the Christmas list and give it a go.

Apologies to the SGL community in advance for the idiot imaging questions in the new year.

Paul

I've just got a new frac so I'll be playing/stressing with that for a while so "here's one I made earlier" sept or oct 2012.

can't remember how many subs but it wouldn't be any more than 30-40 and they were 15 sec subs.

some darks, no flats,bias etc and I think they were jpg's

taken with 18-55 mm lens at 18mm on a camera tripod

I've just got a new frac so I'll be playing/stressing with that for a while so "here's one I made earlier" sept or oct 2012.

can't remember how many subs but it wouldn't be any more than 30-40 and they were 15 sec subs.

some darks, no flats,bias etc and I think they were jpg's

taken with 18-55 mm lens at 18mm on a camera tripod

Well done Auspom, that's the spirit, lets hope we get a few more takers

This could be an interesting game to play as I have the same scope, mount and camera as you Steve, so just the light pollution and processing would be different ( especially as I am in West Sussex)

Love your M45, much better than my last attempt.

Cheers

Paul

This could be an interesting game to play as I have the same scope, mount and camera as you Steve, so just the light pollution and processing would be different ( especially as I am in West Sussex)

Love your M45, much better than my last attempt.

Cheers

Paul

Well jump in , its just for fun.. I am not far from you over in Uckfield, advantage street lights go off at midnight, disadvantage garden looks north rather it was south....

extra +1 get to use the grounds at Herstmoceux Science Center, the old observatory on occasion...

Okay, I  will take part. I do not have a telescope that I can photograph with, so I am forced to stick with wide field shots with a camera on a tripod. No tracking means I can only keep subs down to 10-20 seconds.

Milky Way, Lights: 27x15s (total 6:25 minutes), Darks 5x15s, 5 Flats , 5 Bias.

post-32477-0-18136800-1385413792_thumb.p

Orion, Lights: 37x10s (total 6:10 minutes), Darks 12x10s, 5 flats, 5  bias.

post-32477-0-17071600-1385414162_thumb.p

Okay, I  will take part. I do not have a telescope that I can photograph with, so I am forced to stick with wide field shots with a camera on a tripod. No tracking means I can only keep subs down to 10-20 seconds.

Milky Way, Lights: 27x15s (total 6:25 minutes), Darks 5x15s, 5 Flats , 5 Bias.

attachicon.gifMilkyWay.png

Orion, Lights: 37x10s (total 6:10 minutes), Darks 12x10s, 5 flats, 5  bias.

attachicon.gifOrion_35mm.png

Excellent, thanks for joining in...

No telescope no worries..

I am interested in what others can do ( I am still really new to this) It helps me and I hope others with what can be achieved without a Re-Mortgage....

Well jump in , its just for fun.. I am not far from you over in Uckfield, advantage street lights go off at midnight, disadvantage garden looks north rather it was south....

extra +1 get to use the grounds at Herstmoceux Science Center, the old observatory on occasion...

Not that far at all...

I have views all round (west is restricted a little as someone put my house there)

We have led street lights but they don't turn them off yet. Its about time I emailed them again to find out when this is going to happen.

I think my main problem will be processing the data, really struggling to get to grips with that part.. Oh and taking the flat files.. Any assistance appreciated

I am also a member at Herstmoneux

Cheers

Paul

Not that far at all...

I have views all round (west is restricted a little as someone put my house there)

We have led street lights but they don't turn them off yet. Its about time I emailed them again to find out when this is going to happen.

I think my main problem will be processing the data, really struggling to get to grips with that part.. Oh and taking the flat files.. Any assistance appreciated

I am also a member at Herstmoneux

Cheers

Paul

I only became a member of WAS a month or two ago but try to support the events a HSC...

My processing skills are currently less than 10% good, standing on the shoulders of the giants who re prepared to share their hard won information via this forum and many others, youtube is our friend, and for that I thank them...

As for Flats I made a EL panel and it seems to do the job OK.. Have use the PC screen with notepad open and that seemed not to bad..

Can the image be less than 30 minutes? Many of my attempts are on the shortish side..........

M51 galaxy- 140 seconds

DSIR6693_1024_zps8ed6f634.jpg

Pelican Nebula, Cygnus- 300 seconds

DSIR7146_1024_zps03837ccf.jpg

North American Nebula Cygnus- 225 seconds

DSIR6839_flat_noels_zps4ba85fc4.jpg

Sadr region, Cygnus- 300s

DSIR6696_stack_curves_luminosity_1024_zp

Of course less than 30mins is fine just must not be more than 30 mins of Lights...

Thanks for joining in

Sure, I'll play too - I'm just getting started with this as well. I'll probably go out tonight and see what I can do, though I can only see east for the most part (from my back yard, most of the western sky is in the Mesquite Tree constellation).

Archived