SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Saddleworth star camp

Ok guys and girls,

I plan to have a small star party/gathering at  this location                        

http://www.moorlandscp.co.uk/Moorlands-Park-&-Moorlands-Caravan-&-Camping-Park-Caravan-sites-in-Saddleworth-Caravan-site-Saddleworth.html

it is well priced and offers plenty of hook up EHU, with decent facility's and set in a lovely area very high up, here is the good news, i wont ask any one to pay any money to me at all, but i will ask you to make your own bookings, there will be a little light pollution, but the skies if clear should be a whole lot better than most of our back yards, the date is to be confirmed but looking at April, maybe a bank holiday weekend, i need to check for moon and such before confirming.

I have had some email correspondence with the owner and they are happy to have a small gathering of Astronomers hold a star party.

This will be a very informal gathering, no talks or such like, just an emphasis on observing and maybe a little imaging with like minded folk, it will be limited to 20 people.

post if you want to join in please

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had a quick look at stellarium and friday 25th April and saturday 26th look good, there is a last quarter moon that will please the Luna people (me), this moon phase is nice for imaging but will be up for most of the night, so will have a bit of an effect on DSO work, 

I would like to go with this weekend, though work may get in the way for me and i cant tell what they have planned as yet, it may be i have to shift from friday-saturday to saturday-sunday of this weekend

Count me in please, Jules

more than welcome Phil :grin:

Would have loved to have come Jules, but I'm away that weekend! Originally from Saddleworth, so it would have been nice to go back to the motherland for some stargazing where it all began for me! 

shame you cant make it, maybe another time

I take it we phone up once you have confirmed the dates and book then. Will there be something to book under ie a name or will it simply just be "I would like to book for the star party please"?

Looking forward to this already.

I take it we phone up once you have confirmed the dates and book then. Will there be something to book under ie a name or will it simply just be "I would like to book for the star party please"?

Looking forward to this already.

basically yes, i will post more details once i have confirmed details

Actually Jules i live a bit further away from there than i thought, more like 10 miles. Still up for it though. I live in tameside and the light polution is terrible but looking at google maps the caravan park looks promising.

• 3 weeks later...

Great looking forward to it already, was out last night imaging but completely frustrated with every tech problem you can imagine. Broken cable loose finder shoe, crashing computer, not going to poor auto guiding, frozen auto guiding! Dew system not working, then didn't tighten tripod spreader plate enough so wobbly mount! Which I didn't spot till packing up. End result 1 x 10min exposure of m97 with slight trail.

Mike

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Archived