Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

ISON Spotting

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

hobsey

hobsey

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,316 posts

Right, next week I was due to go to the Brecon Beacons but unfortunately its fallen through and now I'm not going.

While I was there I was going to get up early to go out and find comet ISON as I thought this would be an ideal place to see it.

As I'm now not going, is there a good location locally where I would likely to see it.

Cheers.

Anthony

Celestron C8, 127mak, Celestron CG-5 GT, Skywatcher AZ4, BST 8,12,15,25mm, Revelation 32mm and 2.5 Barlow,  Olypmus DPSI 10x50 bins, QHY5L-ii, Telrad, Canon 1100D, Star Adventurer on order.

forecast.png

swamp thing

swamp thing

Dob the builder

• Moderators
  • 7,622 posts
I guess you want somewhere with a good eastern vantage?

Steve

20" Swamp Dob 10" iDob 4.5' RFT

15x70 & 10x50 bins

Televue Naglers + powermate :cool:

Rustysplit

Rustysplit

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 945 posts

How about Newlands Corner, just off the A25? Can't remember how far east the view extends.

Alan

"What a beautiful day for shoving a cucumber in the vicar's letterbox and shouting
"the Martians have arrived"" K.Dodd

DIY 14" Truss Dob, ST80 , Prinz550

stevend

stevend

Star Forming

• Advanced Members
  • 298 posts

While I was there I was going to get up early to go out and find comet ISON as I thought this would be an ideal place to see it.

If you are up early for look for ISON then remember that with a good horizon you should be able to see Mercury as well.

Scope: Nexstar 127 SLT
EPs: BST 8mm, 12mm, 15mm & 25mm

swamp thing

swamp thing

Dob the builder

• Moderators
  • 7,622 posts

How about Newlands Corner, just off the A25? Can't remember how far east the view extends.

Reckon if you set up on the grass slope in front of the car park the eastern horizon nay be okay. From the car park itself the trees by "the but" cafe will be in the way me thinks.

Steve

20" Swamp Dob 10" iDob 4.5' RFT

15x70 & 10x50 bins

Televue Naglers + powermate :cool:

hobsey

hobsey

Sub Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 1,316 posts

I think Newlands Corner faces south.

I thought ideally somewhere flat or somewhere where you look down onto the horizon.

Anthony

Celestron C8, 127mak, Celestron CG-5 GT, Skywatcher AZ4, BST 8,12,15,25mm, Revelation 32mm and 2.5 Barlow,  Olypmus DPSI 10x50 bins, QHY5L-ii, Telrad, Canon 1100D, Star Adventurer on order.

forecast.png

Optical Dob

Optical Dob

Star Forming

• Members
  • 172 posts

Yes it does face South, north is tree lined. Ive seen some nice views of mercury and venus setting from there. But not sure of the east, as Steve said you may be ok from the grass think there are only small trees in that direction. Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users