SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Windows 8

Well my trusted laptop has decided to shuffle off its mortal coil ( RIP).

I have found a possible replacement but it's running the subject of this post. I am used to (and actually like!) Windows 7 Pro. I have asked the merchant if he can supply with this installed instead of the new 8 and await his reply. So in the meantime I am interested to find out if people are using Windows 8 and their experience.

I am particularly interested in how the following perform so would appreciate any input:

Backyard EOS.

Sharpcap

PHD

EQMOD

Astroart 5

PIPP

Registax (5 or 6)

Thanks

Steve

Eqmod, phd ,Artemis capture , astro tortilla, cdc all run fine on my windows 8 machine biggest problem I had was qhy5 camera driver but there is an easy fix. I will warn you of one thing about downgrading windows 8 machines with chipset compatability and reliability I really wouldn't buy a nice new laptop and start messing with it just my opinion though :)

PIPP and both the Registax work fine for me, but then again I probably don't use every function they have available.

So does avistack and Deep Sky Stacker.

I'd still rather be using Win7 though.

+1 for Classic Shell.

I was pointed that way from SGL and it works a treat, still 8 wants you to use all it's apps for opening things but that might be disabable?

I don't know but I'd love to be able to load my pics from the memory card without that silly photo album loading.

You can make your own start button in seconds http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001374.htm

Also consider that Win 8 may be Win 8.1 that ships, tread carefully as 1 of my machines got flattened by a W8.1 upgrade due to video drivers getting knocked over and no replacement from AMD as yet!

W8.1 does not put a start bar in all it does is create a start menu for the things you see listed in windows key plus X

• 11 months later...

Eqmod, phd ,Artemis capture , astro tortilla, cdc all run fine on my windows 8 machine biggest problem I had was qhy5 camera driver but there is an easy fix. I will warn you of one thing about downgrading windows 8 machines with chipset compatability and reliability I really wouldn't buy a nice new laptop and start messing with it just my opinion though :)

Hi what was the fix for the QHY5, I have windows 8.1 and just cant get my QHY 5 to work - sure its a driver based issue but I just don't know the answer ?

Just want to say, you can always buy a Windows 8 laptop and format it to install Windows 7 yourself. I always format whatever laptop I buy anyway. The manufacturer puts too much bloatware on it that slows everything down. 

Problem with many laptops are the drivers... if a laptop ships with OS x, you will not know whether there are working drivers for the laptop under OS x-1 or OS x+1. You should inform yourself about driver support before buying :-) Some hardware manufacturers take this more serious than otners... have made good experience with Asus, not so good with Sony.

Windows 7 and 8 drivers work pretty well interchangeably. Mind you, you can always seek the individual component drivers yourself through each component manufacturer.

Having said this, yesterday I bought an Acer E5-571 laptop for £400 and it came with Windows 8.1. I quickly formatted it and installed Windows 7 on it. All drivers were available directly from Acer's website and all versions were very up-to-date (from this month!).

Archived