SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Just how good is the MC Jr. Pro?

Astrogate

Hi Group

**Please read carefully at the details**.

Last night under an average moonless transparent skies I captured only one image (M1 Crab) during my NSN broadcast. Now this image was 60 seconds at AGC 3 using my MCX2 class 0 standard CCD sensor with cooler at full (no fans) and it was an average stacked of four on the fly using Miloslick. The image was corrected by using the amp glow mask but NO hot/warm pixel subtraction was applied. The video settings and histogram were tweaked on the fly using also Miloslick.

Now I just happened to study an image today that I captured a week ago using the MC Jr. Pro with the standard class 2 CCD sensor and I was blown away with the amount of detail and high quality that this Jr. Pro produces. Keep in mind that this image of the M1 Crab nebula was captured under very similar conditions except the moon was a factor causing a gradient in the image, the Crab was 10 degrees lower at 21 only and I used the exact same equipment. **The image though was only a single capture (no stacking) at 60 seconds AGC 3 with the video settings and histogram adjusted like I did using my MCX2. In this image though I did not use the amp glow filter so there is some amp glow and I also did not use the hot/warm pixel removal tool.

I am extremely impressed with this camera! Yes there is a lot more hot/warm pixels in the MC Jr. Pro than the MCX2 but is still is not that bad. Stacking two or three images will even out the noise and pull the detail through more. I was surprised how little the amp glow is in this camera even though there is no cooler, however, don't worry the amp glow masks will easily take care of this minor issue if the small amount does bother you. I am really hoping that Bill comes out with a Miloslick Jr. Pro version with these features like amp glow mask, hot/warm pixel removal, live stacking and live histogram because having this program will only enhance your MC Jr. Pro observing. If Bill does not come out with a version for this camera due to complications then I would still recommend you buy this fantastic excellent priced camera because it truly does a great job!!

Here is a side by side comparison but please keep in mind the the MCX2 image on the left was an average stack of 4 compared to the single image of the Jr. Pro on right side.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47296963@N08/10562196933/

Clear skies,

Chris A

Astrogate

Fantastic work as usual thanks Chris!

I am still surprised at the amount of fine detail the Mallincam Junior Pro picks up and I've seen it used many times.

For it's price it is amazing. It is in around the same price bracket as some cameras than can't even come close to that performance.

My first AstroVideo camera was the Samsung SCC-A2333 (SCB-4000) and it cost me the same price as the Junior Pro!!!! and I also had to modify it!

Had the Jnr Pro been around back then I would have bought two of them.

But doesn't matter because I have the Xtreme now, so all is good  :grin:

Keep up the great work Chris.

Same story for me, Ken. I paid 600 clams for the Orion Starshoot Deep Space Video 2!! Mind you, it does have a whole FOUR second integration!! Haha

Still, it clearly showed me enough to keep me interested in VA (I was actually massively impressed with it, to be honest... But that was before I had anything to compare it to!).

Back to topic though. I wish it had been the Jr Pro. Then again, I've got the feeling that had I have bought a Jr Pro, I probably wouldn't have the Xtreme 2 right now... And that would be an awful shame!! :)

Archived