Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newcomers Feedback

As people have said not much to change/add. Joined last  month and everyone’s been extremely helpful. The forum is probably the easiest I’ve used and most active as well. I’ve also enjoyed the new Upcoming events calendar. ??

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I think this may be the first post on this thread for a while, but just wanted to give my feedback. VERY new member, and also new to the hobby, have to say I have had some very very helpful and valuable advice from members here. People have been very friendly and it's made me feel very welcome. Have to admit now I "check in" here a few times a day. Many thanks !!!! 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Been here a couple of months now and found the Beginners forums an absolute goldmine of info!

Its a great idea, because more experienced members who want to help can answer, but noobs (like me) don't clog-up the "grown Ups" forums with daft questions!  

Excellent forum all round, so thanks to all mods & admins for the work, and thanks to members for being generous with their time & knowledge.

Jon

• Like 2

And another thing .............!

Although newbies can't create posts in the buy/sell forum (quite understandable to avoid scams and people just joining to sell something), its really useful to be able to view/buy as a newbie (or "returner" in my case).  I've saved myself a fortune by buying a load of 2nd-hand kit from there, and got some excellent advice from the sellers in some cases.

Jon

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
Le 13/01/2008 à 13h45, certeza a déclaré:

Salut Daz,

J'ai rejoint le forum en novembre et depuis, j'ai beaucoup appris sur mon nouveau passe-temps grâce au groupe (car je ne suis pas naturellement doué pour trouver des objets dans le ciel).

Un de mes problèmes a été de trouver une zone /  iTunes Mobdro TutuAppun endroit où il fait vraiment noir. Ce qui m'aiderait vraiment et aiderait peut-être les autres, c’est qu’il y aurait une carte (du Royaume-Uni) indiquant les endroits particulièrement propices à la pollution lumineuse, voire nulle. Je vis dans le Cheshire et bien que je pense connaître la région, il me serait très utile de savoir où placer mon télescope. Cela pourrait également aider à optimiser les plans de voyage pour les voyages de fin de semaine.

À votre santé,

Inês

Je suis totalement d'accord avec les deux posts ci-dessus. Je traîne ici depuis un moment et tout le monde est toujours très serviable. Merci à tous d'avance.

•  
Edited by racitisisy

• 2 months later...

I don't feel competent enough to say what you can do better. In fact, I can't realy think of anything. But allow me to point out a few things that I think work very well in this forum format (in case you were thinking of removing them ? )

That you allow even newbies, such as myself, to upload pictures and thus bringing a strain on your bandwidth, is a big plus. It is also very easy and intuitiv to do even for a first timer. Making it so easy inherintly encourages people to do it in their threads. This livens up the thread tremendously instead of staring at a wall of text. Here's a picture of a firetruck ?

Billedresultat for firetruck

The "like" and "thanks" buttons are extremely useful. In other forums I find myself compelled to write a bit more than just "thanks" if someone has responded to my post. Sometimes it's hard to come up with new reasons to say thanks. Clicking, and thereby sending your aknowledgement to the replyer, makes things so much easier. I bet people get a lot of aknowledgments and thanks that they would otherwise not have gotten. I would think that this encourages people to respond again to another thread, now that their effort are being appreciated.

In the beginning I found that there were too many categories. But the more I delve into the subject of astronomy, the more I see the reason for the divide. It makes sense now.

I also like the graphic design.

The people in the forum is a chapter for itself (which I know is beond the control of the forum creaters). Rarely have I seen such a helpful bunch of people. The knowledge they collectively posses is staggering. And they share it readily just because they can. The forum is alive. The time I have to wait for a response to a post is usualy counted in hours (sometimes minutes). Not days. There's a free feeling of knowledge exchange which lessens my fear of saying something stupid or ignorant. If I haven't already, I most certainly will in the future ?.

Edited by George Gearless
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...

What a fantastic site, very helpful, especially with novices like myself whom knows absolutely nothing, the replies i have recieved have been very informative, eventhough my questions probably have obvious answers. Everyone seems friendly and willing to assist

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I am a complete beginner. Others have commented that the same or similar questions on a variety of topics from a variety of members are all over the site. But for me, that is part of the appeal. Over the last week or so I have been going from sub-group to sub-group (those that currently interest me anyway) and reading the posts going back years. The information I have gleaned is enormous and I just love the reading element.

Like other posters, I do not consider myself even remotely qualified to offer advice on what could be improved, and love the site as it is.

Thank you Moderators all for a wonderful job.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am 79, retired, and live in N/E Scotland, on the moors, no neighbours, no light pollution. This site has given me many ideas on what I might need, and I can't see any need to change it. Probably getting a 10 inch Dobson, which brand?. Still checking. Be prepared for many stupid questions!. I just purchase a 10inch Dobson, as it looks to be a good quality product, and   I thought 12inch, might be too much for an old man to move around!. Prepare for post of frustration/joy etc!.

Edited by Theoldboy
Add script.
  • Like 4

Been here for about 8 weeks and to be honest SGL seems like a huge family from all over the world. There are lots of specific sections to dip into, many helpful, knowledgeable and very talented folk to bounce questions off, the mods are welcoming, sort without a fuss any problems and activily participate in the discussions themselves without a hint of pretension or affectation . The site is extremely generous in its bandwidth, as also with the type of threads that can be set up (just take a peek at the lounge!) and categories in general :).

In short, SGL is probably the best astronomy site in the world and until Fermi's paradox is significantly addressed, no doubt the best in the known universe. I'm thoroughly enjoying my stay and glad I came aboard.   

I just have a couple of questions/suggestions:

• the profile page has a category called "day's won". What does this mean? How does one win more days? And can one lose days?
  • would visual observers be interested in something similar to the imagers challenges and competitions? Not to clutter or make more sections, but within the observer's sections, say? (tricky double stars of the month challenge, awkward lunar feature or sketch challenge of the month etc)
  • would a section on reviews be amiss (books, films, docus, shows, star parties, software, podcasts etc), related, of course, to astronomy & science? Not something like, 'this is worth seeing/reading' but actually a short review.

Again, thanks for everything :thumbright:.

Rob

- - - - -

Welcome to SGL @Theoldboy:hello: You're very fortunate to have no light pollution and neighbours to boot :smiley:. Can't go wrong with a 10". I thnk a 10" or 12" are kind of the goldilocks of Dobs. I look forward to meeting you on the boards.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Fitzroy Clarke said:

I am a member a couple hours  and I am indeed very impressed 

I have one request info on which of these two Cameras will be better to own, 
ASI 183MC  Pro or  ASI178MC

Many thanks

can't help on that one but best to post it in the appropriate section such as Discussion - cameras where it'll more get noticed :) 

welcome aboard btw

Edited by DaveL59

2 hours ago, Fitzroy Clarke said:

I am a member a couple hours  and I am indeed very impressed 

I have one request info on which of these two Cameras will be better to own, 
ASI 183MC  Pro or  ASI178MC

Many thanks

Agreed, start a new thread in the camera forum.

This is a question I wrestled with, it depends on what scope you have to some extent.

This is an amazing forum with amazing members on it , At no time do you feel stupid asking questions which is how it's ment to be 

I have had so much help I don't know if I could every repay everyone for that , I Work nights so can't get to my local club so this is my main stop for help and information i read most posts on this forum as the info may help me one day 

Great work everyone and THANK YOU 

• Like 1

Great site, packed full of great advice and friendly members.  One thing I would note is that the Observing Forum is placed towards the bottom of the listings, surely observing is what astronomy is all about.  One has to scroll past the sponsor offers (Flo) to reach the Observing forum (milk at the back of the shop?)

Otherwise it's fantastic. 

• 2 months later...

A wonderful forum.  I think that many new members benefit enormously from the knowledge and experience of the seasoned astronomers simply by reading their advice, recommendations, comments and views.  In addition,  i find it surprising how helpful a simple statement of what experienced astronomers are up to, or what equipment, software or processes they are using, can help us newcomers to gain a better understanding of the hobby.  Thank you all very much.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi from "down under". Just joined up after finding your website and solving a problem with my Synscan Skymax 102 Mak/Cass goto - brand new and learning the ropes. Another member posted exactly the same problem I had and was told how to fix it and bingo - it worked for me too. So thanks are in order and I look forward to maintaining an active relationship with your organisation. 

• Like 4

As a very new member to this Forum (joined yesterday) I have found the members to be helpful and polite.

For me, that is a priority, as you can then take onboard the advice they give as genuine and which you can trust.

Having faced very inappropriate comments on Facebook, I find this Forum to be a breath of fresh air.  Long may it continue.

• Like 1

There is a great collective wisdom on all aspects of Astronomy, here on these forums, and we are kindred spirits, so your questions will always find an answer, given freely and with genuine interest.......:smiley:

Welcome Karen, BTW.

Edited by Saganite

2 hours ago, Karen Bexley said:

As a very new member to this Forum (joined yesterday) I have found the members to be helpful and polite.

For me, that is a priority, as you can then take onboard the advice they give as genuine and which you can trust.

Having faced very inappropriate comments on Facebook, I find this Forum to be a breath of fresh air.  Long may it continue.

That's how we all feel about this precious part of the internet, Karen! 

I have been on SGL for 21 years in September...does that count... (and 11 years as a member)... and "No!" I am not buying the next round with you all when the pubs/bars open after the COVID-19 lockdown is over to celebrate my time here. Seriously: I am always finding SGL a useful source of advice and other info, and  SGL'ers are very courteous to each other.

Wishing you all clear skies without [or with] the hangover!

Edited by Philip R