Narrowband

Adding cooling and filter wheel to a debayered 450D mono DSLR

Gina

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool seeing a 3D printed filter wheel.  I modified a DSI-II Pro camera a couple of years ago, added a 4-position filter-wheel and Peltier cooling (ASCOM drivers and all).  I machined out the filter wheel on a Lathe, using a jig to offset the plexiglas wheel at each of the four filter positions while boring them out.  It has a o belt around the rim and a small stepper motor driving it.  Position sensing is by a single hall-effect sensor.

Are you going to use a little gear reduced stepper? 3.5:1 Seems like not enough reduction with a stepper all by itself.

Cool seeing a 3D printed filter wheel.  I modified a DSI-II Pro camera a couple of years ago, added a 4-position filter-wheel and Peltier cooling (ASCOM drivers and all).  I machined out the filter wheel on a Lathe, using a jig to offset the plexiglas wheel at each of the four filter positions while boring them out.  It has a o belt around the rim and a small stepper motor driving it.  Position sensing is by a single hall-effect sensor.

Are you going to use a little gear reduced stepper? 3.5:1 Seems like not enough reduction with a stepper all by itself.

The stepper motors I mainly use have a 64:1 gearbox built in.  I was planning to machine the filter wheel on the lathe but now I have a 3D printer, it's much easier :)  It's an amazing machine :)

• 1 month later...

I am working on the design again and will post diagrams shortly. 

I'm considering a tiny R&P focuser for the guide camera though admittedly, a Crayford would be a lot easier to make.  I plan to make two small holes into the sensor space and glue a cover glass on and purge the moisture from the sensor.  This means a change from previous diagrams as the cold section will be a lot smaller and most of the dry section will not need thermal insulation.  This will make more room for silica gel and enable me to put a clear plastic window in the copper box to see the colour of the silica gel.

I will remain to be seen if this change will reduce the delta T available from the cooling system.

I'm having a problem finding the bits of the camera :(  I must have put them in a box at one of the times when I had to do an urgent clearup.  I have the original plastic frame that I will be replacing with a printed one but not the rest.  Might have the sensor unit as this has the plastic foam bits from this rebuild but on removing the filter frame and examining under magnifying lamp I see there's a broken micro gold wire :(  Just the one but I expect that's crucial :(  No idea how that happened as it was covered by the filter frame - maybe a speck of dust :confused:

I was looking at where to drill holes for purging the moisture but the space below where the cover glass goes is extremely small and I don't think it's on.  Another idea is to drill the frame that takes the filters and instead of replacing the cover glass, to replace the IR filter (not the colour balance, of course)

I think I have another debayered 450D sensor that I didn't quite finish round the edges.  The last few months have been hectic and my previous organisatrion for keeping the camera bits all in separate labelled boxes went to pot :eek:

Now I must get myself re-organised!   There are still some cameras in their labelled boxes but most of these were debayering failures.  I only have one or two 450D cameras separate from their sensors that are working but have several 1100Ds.  I also have at leasst two 1100Ds with intact sensors that I haven't started on.  Also, with 1100D being a better camera for astro than 450D I'm thinking of attacking 1100Ds again.  Things have progressed on the bebayering etc. since I last tried.

• 2 weeks later...

For a number of reasons I am changing from debayered 450D to debayered 1100D.  It would now seem that debayering an 1100D should be do-able and I have a good collection of 1100D bodies.  The debayered 450D sensor somehow lost a gold wire connection and I haven't got another - as opposed to 1100D.  So this thread is finished and the project will continue in another thread with an 1100D.  To continue with an 1100D when the thread title says 450D didn't seem appropriate :D

Archived