SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Sky at Night - The End

palebluedot

There is a  rumor afoot (from someone that has been on the program) that the The Sky at Night is to be axed in December. I personally think this would be a very sad thing to happen and hope that there will be enough people who feel strongly enough to kick up a fuss and get the BBC to change to their mind.

Let the foot stamping commence.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We know some of the presenters subscribe to this forum but can't expect them to comment or if they know any different.

It would be a shame.

I think the show has evolved with the new presenter line up and is covering a wider topic.

I still enjoy the program

There is a  rumor afoot (from someone that has been on the program) that the The Sky at Night is to be axed in December. I personally think this would be a very sad thing to happen and hope that there will be enough people who feel strongly enough to kick up a fuss and get the BBC to change to their mind.

Let the foot stamping commence.

Do you have the source of you rumour? For all we know it could be you who is starting it..;)

If in fact there is any truth to this rumour, and I stress IF, it may well be down to the fact that production team/ researchers have spent time on sgl and saw the countless posts pertaining to the fact that " the new format is rubbish" or "i'm fed up with impersonators" and have decided it's easier to can the show than change the format. 

If in fact there is any truth to this rumour, and I stress IF, it may well be down to the fact that production team/ researchers have spent time on sgl and saw the countless posts pertaining to the fact that " the new format is rubbish" or "i'm fed up with impersonators" and have decided it's easier to can the show than change the format. 

ROFLMAO... :laugh:

I can't see why they would, it still gets good viewing figures, is the world's longest running TV show and must be very cheap to make.

So I agree that we should wait for confirmation before we start mobilising the troops.

Fine points but geeks haven't been voted a minority yet.

Does it really get good viewing figures? I'd be surprised if it did.

Much as I loved the programme once, I've hardly watched it in years. And I'm a geek. When viewing figures are all-important, I'm sure a fringe programme like this can't really last much longer. Sir PM gave it a quirky edge, but without a passionate character like him at the helm it seems inevitable.

I do hope this is not true, its one of the television shows that I use to justify myself owning an idiot box given the dearth of things worth watching.

There is also the nostalgia thing as well, it's one of the few things that I remember from growing up in the 70's, I think a lot of people would relate to this given the number of years it's being running.

The same sort of thing happened when John Peel died, his influence at the BBC ensured the promotion of independent music on the radio but vanished gradually after his death to make more room for more vacuous commercial noise, I fear the same process is now happening with the passing of SPM.  

The same sort of thing happened when John Peel died, his influence at the BBC ensured the promotion of independent music on the radio but vanished gradually after his death to make more room for more vacuous commercial noise....

Not so! Listen to BBC6 Music. In the best John Peel tradition. Innovative and the best UK radio station.

Again I stress that this is still in the rumour stage, but I was just wondering.....What will this mean for the magazine? if the show goes does the magazine? and what about all the subscribers?  

Just thinking out 'loud is all ;)

Well, you'd think the success of the magazine might make them think that the show has an ongoing future. I enjoy the show at present (impressions aside). It is great having a bit of science of tv that is not fantastically dumbed down, a programme that caters for the enthusiasts as well as it does. We can consider it unique and something to value regardless of who presents it in PM's passing.

Rumour or not, this is a thread that will run on based on people appreciating the programme.

Not so! Listen to BBC6 Music. In the best John Peel tradition. Innovative and the best UK radio station.

It's a poor replacement that's less accessible as not everybody listens online or owns a DAB or wants to listen to radio on a tv.

If DAB quality and coverage improves then maybe I'd not be as disagreeable about owning one.  :smiley:  

Archived