Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC7000 Hubbled with 200mm Lens

jnc71106

First light with my new 200mm Canon lens and Atik 314

20 x 5 min H-Alpha (Green)

15 x 5 min Oiii (Blue)

15 x 5 min Sii (Red)

Running the lens wide open at f/2.8 is very cool, i should say this was processed at 4:30am after having to run into the garden to pack kit away when it started to pour with rain :D so it might be a bit rough around the edges ;)

9692770734_2347acfb00_c.jpg

NGC7000 Hubble V1 by Tokoloshe81, on Flickr

first time using my Gerd Neumann filter drawer with EOS attachment which is a lovely bit of kit and really well made

9689621757_c81dc20ee7.jpg

Gerd Neumann Filter Drawer with EOS attachment by Tokoloshe81, on Flickr

9689624883_ba92e73e9b.jpg

200mm Canon with Filter Drawer by Tokoloshe81, on Flickr

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the comments everyone for a single nights work I'm pretty pleased with the result

Great image, sorry to be off subject but where did you get the rings from that hold the camera lens?
if you mean the silver rings around the lens there not rings to hold the lens in place they are microfocus rings from here http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p3285_Microfocuser-and-focus-lock-fuer-camera-lenses-up-to-D-75mm.html and they are great if your going to image with fast lenses

A very nice wide field there.

I particularly like the star control and the dust in the lower right quarter.

The Sony chip may be getting on now but you've shown it's as good as it ever was.

If the clouds clear again for you would a mosaic be on the cards ?

Dave.

John, Malcolm, Chris, Michael and Dave thank you

If the clouds clear again for you would a mosaic be on the cards ?

Dave.

not sure about a mosaic but may add the pelican if i get a couple more clear nights while i'm on holiday, i've got a target in mind should it clear tonight but it will be a single filter night i think with longer exposures

That's fantastic.

I've got the 200mm lens and played a little with my Atik, but never got serious as I've no way to attach a filter system and had to manually swap filters.

I've definitely got to check out that filter drawer system, the results you've got here are simply stunning and tell me it might be time to get that 200mm lens back up and running.

Did you have any problems with star shapes at f/2.8 ? I know there was a lot of discussion about the difficulties of running that lens wide open.

Anton

Yes, I'd forgotten about sensor size, the Atik 460 I use would be intermediate between the two.

I've still got Olly's aperture mask though that brings it in at f/4 in case of problems.

JNC, where do you get the Gerd Neumann filter-body that has the EOS attachment ? I can't find it on their website, although they do mention it.

Also, is it easy to attach the dovetail and finder holder to it ? your's looks really good.

I ran mine on a camera sliding holder bolted on top of my Apo scope, using the apo to guide, but I'd probably look to go to a 9x50 finder guider with a lodestar.

Really excited by the result you have here, I'd love to use my 200mm as effectively as you are using yours.

Thanks,

Anton

You can use this lens wide open with an Atik 383 from what I've seen from other users which has a bigger chip than your 460 so you'll be fine I reckon, hey there's only one way too find out ;)

You have to contact Gerd directly about the filter drawer and he will create an order with a link for payment

I just read about the Atik 314, does this setup allow you to monitor the image with a laptop?

You can watch the images roll into your lap top / desk top as soon as the exposed image is finish and not until.

For acquiring the target image you can run the camera from a little as a few hundredths of a second up to 9,999 seconds and watch the image like real time, as the data comes in, this is how you

tweak the mount to get you image into a desired position.. I use between 1-5 seconds binned 2x2 to get my mount into position before setting the exposure to the required length..

If its a real faint nebula maybe longer if using narrow band..

Hope this helps..

Running it wide open is not an issue at all. No doubt the resolution would be slightly better at f/4 but I'm happy to sacrifice on that a little for the increase in speed

I've just seen the updated Ha / OIII / OIII. Oh yes, that's special. Just the way I like 'em.

Re the FR. Using F2.8 rather than F4 gives twice the speed. Using F4 rather than F2.8 may not give twice the quality of stars ! It's up to the individual to say what they will accept but these images show that f2.8 is just fine with this particular lens.

I look forward to seeing more,

Dave.

I've just seen the updated Ha / OIII / OIII. Oh yes, that's special. Just the way I like 'em.

Re the FR. Using F2.8 rather than F4 gives twice the speed. Using F4 rather than F2.8 may not give twice the quality of stars ! It's up to the individual to say what they will accept but these images show that f2.8 is just fine with this particular lens.

I look forward to seeing more,

Dave.

Completely agree Dave a small sacrifice on resolution for a big increase in speed is worth it even more so when I think about the unpredictable UK weather

Archived