Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter: September 4th: GRS | 5x Barlow!

CKemu

post-9886-0-28442500-1378292796_thumb.jp

September 4th @ 5:59am from Mansfield, England.

Seeing conditions where terrible, telescope saturated in dew and my power pack just doesn't seem to be lasting, indeed slewing the scope got incredibly sloppy, and stuttering.

The Sun was well on it's way by this point, the sky was blue and the few clouds had soft pink hues.

But it is, as ever so worth it, whilst this image is hardly going to win me prizes, it amazes me every time I look at Jupiter and that Great Red Spot. That spot, a storm in Jupiter's atmosphere would neatly fit Earth with in it.

Setup was:

Meade LX90 8" SCT

2x + 3x Meade Shorty Barlow, giving me 5x 2032mm and f/50

ZWO ASI120mc

Firecapture 2.3

Photoshop for sharpening and histogram stretch.

This image is 1-2-1, so exactly as it appears on my camera's sensor. By this point I was just mucking around, and trying out ridiculous magnification, fully knowing that I was going to far, but I was about to pack up, so thought, I might as well give it a whirl!

http://youtu.be/iN-R_WioHOA

Video shows Jupiter on my screen, the sky conditions and gives you a feel for my setup, and location.

Still a nice image considering nearly everything (barring cloud cover) was working against you.

I'm still going to wait for a bit before having a go at Jupiter with my modest xbox cam. Its waaay to early in the morning for me. Its not right that I should be up and about before my children :grin:

Very nice picture indeed considering all the obstacles. As I understand it Earth would fit 3 - 4 times into the red spot, which is mind boggling enough on its own.

Im looking forward to having a go at imaging Jupiter, but as Prador says its still too early in the morning for me. Probably going to do a comparison between my xbox cam and my SPC as Saturn came out alot better in my xbox camera.

Archived