Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC 1396 The Elephant's Trunk nebula in Ha

lukebl

Hi all. Not done any narrowband for months so I thought I'd have a go at the Elephant Trunk last night. It was a rare night with perfect guiding and no technical issues. Whoopee. The longish focal length and small sensor doesn't capture much of the nebula, but I'm pleased with the detail. If its clear tonight I'll try and capture some O-ii. Hope you like it.

27 x 600s exposures, Baader Ha filter, SXVF-H9 cam, 250mm f/4.7 Newtonian, NEQ6. Off-axis guiding with QHY5 camera and PHD guiding.

9660198295_60a43218e6_c.jpg

Here it is with a bit of added colour. 3 hours-worth of additional O-ii in 15 minute subs.Not sure how it looks on different monitors, though. It looks fine on my PC, but rather dark and sturated in my iPad.

9675406163_b6644b979b_c.jpg

Here's a paler version which looks better on my IPad, but too bright for my PC monitor. Any preferences?

9678642052_3d1870c84e_c.jpg

Looking good!

the second one is the better one for my monitor, there is a lot more depth visible in the image. ( I know it all about the elephant trunk) but there is also some colour coming through in the stars.

Nice one

Tim

Some serious resolution there! Really cracking detail. As for the signal, it is easy to turn this into a huge flat mill-pond of Ha and lose the wonderful drama of the ionization front. I went out on a limb with mine to feature the rim as you have done so I feel more than vindicated because this looks geat.

Olly

Thanks a lot, guys. There's very little O-II signal, but what little there is brings out contrast between the nebula and the blue-ness of the stars. Here's what the 3 hours-worth of O-II looks like compared with the Ha.

p.s. ...and sorry, to those who hate them, about the diffraction spikes. Occupational hazard with my newt!

9685046545_6eed0cf606.jpg9660006879_137e7f1cbe.jpg

Archived