Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New 10 x 56 Bins

Jaywillis78

Hi,

I received my new bins from FLO (thanks Martin, top service!!) and managed to try them out for a while last night, I was mainly looking at the moon for obvious reasons as I couldn't see much else due to such a light evening.

I wear glasses and found the twist up eye cups really easy to us. I'm still trying to work out if I want to view the night sky with or without glasses.

my main question is with glasses on its very hard to get the right position to get a full circular view through them, I'm having to move the bins around a fair bit to get the right view.

Its easier with out glasses but have to have the eye cups extended right out. I followed the instructions for focusing the left eye then doing the right eye but when I open both I still need to use the main focus wheel to adjust it slightly. is this right?

Also how pin sharp should I get the stars, it was a poor night for viewing lat night but I felt the stars Were not as pin sharp as they should of been for bins with ED glass?

any advise would be appreciated thanks

Jay

I followed the instructions for focusing the left eye then doing the right eye but when I open both I still need to use the main focus wheel to adjust it slightly. is this right?
Not sure what the instructions say, but it sounds like you are closing your eyes alternately to do this. Don't: it makes most people squint a bit, and hten they have to refocus when both eyes are open (as you seem to be doing). It is much better to cap the objective of the side that you are not focusing and keep both eyes open all the time.

Hi Jay. I tend to focus using the centre wheel on a subject with as much sharp detail as I can find, and then adjust the diioptre setting on the same object until I have the best image I can get. Of couse, once you have done this, you only have to focus using the centre wheel as the dioptre adjustment stays the same for what ever distance you focus your binoculars. It has always worked for me and I've been using binoculars for over forty years.

Regarding your question as to if you are better off keeping your glasses on, this depends on what condition you are wearing your glasses for. If you have long or short sight, you should be able to do without them as the binocular focus will compensate. Of couse if you are very short sighted, you may have to keep removing your glasses and putting them back on to read you star charts if you use them. If you have strong astigmatism, as I have, then you will need ot keep your glasses on as the binocular focus will not compensate for the distortion which causes astigmatism. Regards, Paul

Thanks both, i will cap them in turn tonight as i was closing each eye. i noticed this was difficult and sounds obvious now you mention it!! My glasses aren‘t that strong so i may stick with not wearing them then. I will try again tonight with the right focusing method. Thanks again for the replies!!

So I tried them out again last night with much more success! I got them focused better and they felt much easier to use without glasses on.

i have noticed the best view I get from them is if I have them just a few mm from my face and this is with the eye cups fully extended. My old 8 x 30 could be balanced against my eyes which make the view a steady one.

Because I have to hover the bins in front of my eyes to get that nice round circular view it's obviously a lot harder to keep steady, is this normal for this size bin or are they all different dependant on eye type etc?

Im just trying to be sure these bins are right for me and I don't have to change to the Optricon imagic ones maybe?

i have noticed the best view I get from them is if I have them just a few mm from my face <snip>

Because I have to hover the bins in front of my eyes to get that nice round circular view it's obviously a lot harder to keep steady,

Use method #2 on this page, and you may find it a lot easier to keep it steady. (I do this instinctively nowadays)

Archived