SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

PHD2 Beta

Freddie

Just completed a two and half hour imaging session using PHD2 to guide with and it worked without any issues throughout. Guiding performance was comparable to PHD1.

I tried a calibration step size of 1500 for the OAG on the 8" RC + CCDT67 (about 1080mm focal length) - this was calibrating after just 4 steps so I need to throttle this back somewhat next time. So a good experience really, I'm pleased to say.

post-5202-0-06287800-1378594542_thumb.jp

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you pop your guide scope and cam details in, you can display in arc sec which is useful. Just need to take note of the scale and units on the y axis though as arcsec can look much worse than the pixel scale used on PHD1. This is where I think some may have not been comparing like with like when comparing the PHD2 graph with that from PHD1. You can however change PHD2 back to pixels with a shift click on the Y: tab on the graph if you want.

I tried PHD2 last night..

A few of my observations that could make it easier to use.

1) Put the brain off the menu

2) Remember settings (Cam and scope) so next time you run it it auto selects these by default and save you from fiddling about (as long as the expectation is that you have your cam and scope connected to ASCOM etc)

3) Have a dropdown box of most commonly used Cam/guidescopes so the brain settings as setup as defualt. A lot of users always ask what settings do I need for x y cam and guidescope, so have these preloaded would help enormously.

I do like how we have finally integrated the windows within the software, make it easier to use especially when using it on a small screen notebook.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive got the update but not installed yet as too busy & bad weather.

It would be good to be able to save different setup profiles for different scopes or mybe you can already but i have not seen the option.

Ive got the update but not installed yet as too busy & bad weather.

It would be good to be able to save different setup profiles for different scopes or mybe you can already but i have not seen the option.

If you click the Camera Icon you will see the equipment profiles, where you can edit/save and export etc.

Archived