Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nova Del 2013 pic+spectrum

Montage from last night of field of Nova Del plus low-res spectrum via Rainbow grating with A-type Altair overlaid for hydrogen Balmer line reference. The nova's emission in Ha and Hb is typical of nova at outburst and the Ha line should dominate in the next week or so. A welcome bright nova easily seen in scope's small finder :police:

post-21003-0-96441500-1376726693_thumb.j

I got my spectrum with star analyzer in 16/08 and the displacement of the H-alpha absorption line was -47 angstroms. This equates to an expansion velocity 2148 km/sec.

In 15/08 researchers at the Ondrejov Observatory (Czech Republic) obtained a spectrum whose expansion velocity was 2400 km/s

- http://www.astronomerstelegram.org/?read=5282

And finally in 17/08 a friend using Litrow spectrograph obtained a spectrum showing the profile in the region of h-alpha, the H-alpha absorption displacement was of 29 angstroms corresponding a speed of expansion of approximately 1325 km/sec.

A very fast desaceleration of the shell nebula !

You can confirm the velocity for the day 16/08 mr. nytecam ?

Regards

Carlos Bella

Hi Carlos - no I can't ascribe a RV against my very low-res spectra! The camera used for first time on the nova and spectrum so still experimenting. Here's last night image and annotated low-res spectrum which provides a clue as to the spectral range of my set-up.

This nova is so bright that simply trailing a spectrum eg driving scope slowly N or S here or with drive off via the Rainbow or Staranalyser gratings, a fair spectrum is obtained :police:

post-21003-0-21326700-1376904000_thumb.j

post-21003-0-72379400-1376904090_thumb.j

Anyone able to take fully calibrated spectra (in wavelength and relative or absolute flux) at any resolution are encouraged to contribute to a campaign on this object in support of profesional Steven Shore (University of Pisa) This is an important opportunity to get high density coverage (amateurs have already produced probably the best coverage of the early stages of a nova ever!)

More in this thread here including a commentary on what is happening in this nova by Steven Shore.

http://www.spectro-aras.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=682

and the spectra to date are here (83 so far)

http://www.astrosurf.com/aras/Aras_DataBase/Novae/Nova-Del-2013.htm

I finally got a spectrum last night in a short gap in the clouds

Cheers

Robin

I got my spectrum with star analyzer in 16/08 and the displacement of the H-alpha absorption line was -47 angstroms. This equates to an expansion velocity 2148 km/sec.

Hi Carlos,

Did you see the spectrum of this object by Umberto Sollecchia taken on the same night and posted here? (It is probably one of the best spectra I have ever seen using a Star Analyser!)

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/staranalyser/message/3012

Taken at 6.6A/pixel and fully calibrated in wavelength and relative flux, the expansion from the P Cygni profiles is clear.

Cheers

Robin

Hi Carlos,

Did you see the spectrum of this object by Umberto Sollecchia taken on the same night and posted here? (It is probably one of the best spectra I have ever seen using a Star Analyser!)

http://tech.groups.y...er/message/3012

Taken at 6.6A/pixel and fully calibrated in wavelength and relative flux, the expansion from the P Cygni profiles is clear.

Cheers

Robin

Really impressive Mr. Robin !!! That resolution it´s amazing for Star Analyzer.

I will use it for calculate the velocity of nebula expansion in that night .

Today I will take more spectra, I will post the results here later.

Regards

Nova Del has gone dimmer. Last night it was about Mag 6.2.

Here is a spectrum taken on 25 Aug 13, 1500 UTC

Nova+Del+2013+labelled+Expanded.jpg

The camera used was a DMK 41AU02.AS and Star analyser 100. A still from the video is included below:

Video.jpg

Nova Del has gone dimmer. Last night it was about Mag 6.2.

Here is a spectrum taken on 25 Aug 13, 1500 UTC The camera used was a DMK 41AU02.AS and Star analyser 100. A still from the video is included

Very nice work - my raw from last night Aug 26 - all visible Balmer emission lines H-alpha to H-epsilon evident! :police:

post-21003-0-32177100-1377594954_thumb.j

Archived