Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Making your own dew shield

athornett

James, Thanks for the link to http://stargazerslou...den-dew-shield/

I like it too! I wonder what the weight is, being made out of veneered ply? Certainly for my dobs, weight is very important - every kg at top has to be counter-balanced with 4 or 5kg at bottom (due to differences in distance from fulcrum) - I have a large collection of various magnetic weights!! Actually on that point, I have found the magnetic strips you buy from Wilkos to put tools on wall in garage make great magnetic weights - sold in packs of three of different sizes - just like the scales in the kitchen can choose combinations to balance most things. Only problem is I now need 2 packs, what with Telrad, 2 inch Explore Scientific eyepeices (weigh a ton) and dew shield on top!

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Everyone knows you should use a yoga mat not a camping mat. Helps you be more at one with the universe.

Seriously though, they sell foam mats in black if you're buying from new. They're still a bit on the shiny side generally though and have had reflection problems with them in the past so probably worth getting some flocking material at the same time.

Archived