SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Pulled the trigger...got my Mesu

pubquiz

Well I finally spent all my savings (almost) and bought the Mesu 200 I'd been promising myself :laugh:

Went down to get it from Bern at Modern Astronomy....long 540 mile round trip but postage would have been VERY expensive so I thought the missus and I would make a trip of it so splashed out £150 on petrol and a very nice B&B and got a good description/demo from Bern.

Still lots to do re getting a pier mount made and it all set up as its lower than my G11 which was on a 12" extension on my concrete pier.

Mount looks really nicely made .....will post a pic of it next to a G11 soon.

The motor assemblies look different from the pics of the ones I have seen so far (will post a pic later)....the encoder on the back is different ...slimmer...it is a Faulhaber IE3-1024 as here http://www.faulhaber...E3-1024_DFF.pdf

Not sure why they have been changed presumably they have the same resolution as the other ones ......the info on the link is all gobbledegook to me :huh:

Looking forward to getting it all set up and going...tons of reading to do..and have also joined the Yahoo SiTech and Mesu forums for my (no doubt) forthcoming barrage of questions :grin:

Will prob be a steep learning curve but am looking forward to it and glad I got it.

Tom

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck with this Tom - I couldn't stretch that far and got an Avalon Linear. Got mine on the pier today and been setting the park position etc. Bound to be cloudy tonight but at least I can blame you now :grin:

Thanks Guys ....yes I might just be up and running by the time the dark nights are here so don't blame me for clouds Francis as I am not ready yet :laugh:

Neil: Yes it was yours and the other guys like Olly's reports on the Mesu that persuaded me to get it .

Here are some pics showing size next to G11...when I collected the Mesu yesterday it looked smaller than I expected but as you can see it is a fair bit bigger than the G11...the G11 weighs 17kg and the Mesu 27kg

Also some pics of the different motors/encoders.

Tom

post-6132-0-58451400-1375368743_thumb.jp

post-6132-0-91159500-1375368752_thumb.jp

post-6132-0-22769900-1375368768_thumb.jp

post-6132-0-29410200-1375368781_thumb.jp

post-6132-0-80459200-1375368796_thumb.jp

Some questions on the Mesu. Can you control and sync it direct from a planetarium program via Ascom? (I currently use Maxim DL with EQMod and eq6), and can you define park positions?

You can define 1 park position by setting it to the current encoder positions.

I believe you can sync from the panitarium i'll check....you can definately control it no problems from the planitarium.

You can download the sitech ascom driver and try for yourself as it runs automatically in simulation if no mount is found.

You have to sync it to a star first so go to the goto tab select a star and click sync and then initial ofset and it'll start tracking and you can play.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

I'm in the middle of setting up and reviewing the mesu again as i just got the sitech ii controller installed see here for more info-

Mesu 200 with sitech ii controller'>http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?/topic/191549-Mesu-200-with-sitech-ii-controller

Mesu 200 with sitech ii controller

Although the clouds rolled in so no updates to it tonight :angry:

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

Where are we now with our Mesu 200? 350 to 400 hours of imaging at 2.4 metres of FL (and smallish pixels!) without dropping a sub to guiding errors.

I'd have to be mad to choose a different mount within anything resembling that budget.

Olly

Where are we now with our Mesu 200? 350 to 400 hours of imaging at 2.4 metres of FL (and smallish pixels!) without dropping a sub to guiding errors.

I'd have to be mad to choose a different mount within anything resembling that budget.

Olly

I think Olly's got shares in Mesu :grin: :grin:

Olly

Olly,

What do you think it is about the mount that allows you to achieve these figures? Is it that the mount build quality is such that the guider has little to do, or is the guider setup so good it overcomes mount problems ( and would with lesser mounts)? How would a comparison of unguided mounts turn out?

Graham

Any thoughts on the change of encoder manufacturer?....the mount seems to be evolving at each new batch ....the strengthening webs now instead of the welded bars as an example.

Suppose i could ask Lucas...just wondered if anyone on here knew......not really bothered just curious...glad to see improvements keep getting made.

Tom

Any thoughts on the change of encoder manufacturer?....the mount seems to be evolving at each new batch ....the strengthening webs now instead of the welded bars as an example.

Suppose i could ask Lucas...just wondered if anyone on here knew......not really bothered just curious...glad to see improvements keep getting made.

Tom

Lucas seems to be making adjustments and improvements based on feedback. The biggest, in my opinion, is the controller change to a sitech II.

Lets face it an encoder change will be for quality, cost or availability (or a combination of the three)

You can also see that the dec and ra housings are no longer powder coated (i imagine thats down to ease of manufacture or possibly cost)

I like the fact its being continually tweaked.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Tapatalk 2

Just put the mount temporarily on the pier.

Since my G11 was on a 12" pier extension I will have to make a raised base for the Mesu (the sort with 4 lengths of threaded studding) to raise it up from the top of the concrete pier.

I am going to get an ADM dual mount bar from FLO but they are out of stock at the mo so wont know how much I need to raise it till I get it .....I need it as high as poss in the park position to clear the sliding roof and still give me max sky view.....still plenty to be playing with for now though.

Have replaced the thumb screws on the saddle with stainless steel socket head bolts (as mentioned in other threads) as it's hard to get a good grip on them due to the wide top disc of the Mesu.

Pics attached

post-6132-0-66364000-1375524910_thumb.jp

post-6132-0-88189100-1375524919_thumb.jp

Archived