Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finally - I've broken ground on the obsy

dmahon

Well, more good news (I hope).

Pulsar and Shelyak have been communicating and testing dome trackers in the fridge. Shelyak have come up with a firmware upgrade which should sort things out. Speedy work - I'll let you know how it gets on.

I put the flooring down yesterday. I've also ordered a number of new things to finish off the observatory:

Dehumidifier

APC Masterswitch remote power

Table

Chair

A number of cables

A stepper motor based focusser (well, waiting for the chap to come back from holiday)

So just the cable routing to sort out when it all arrives and I should be done spending on the observatory. Now to start saving to upgrade the equipment inside (but after the skiing holiday and the dental implant are paid for).

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firmware has been upgraded in the dome tracker. Working well, but well see for sure when the temperature drops again.

New stepper focuser also fitted and filterwheel working again. Just waiting on the IP power and all should be finished.

OK - some more cabling done.

Just testing for now (it works - I can turn everything on and off remotely - except the masterswitch itself and the network switch / powerline adapter connecting it). I need to tidy it up a bit and replace a couple of wallwarts so I can get rid of my IEC13 to UK plug adapters. Then I can set about tidying up the mount / scope cabling too.

45.JPG

Bit more work done today:

1) Dehumidifier permanently installed

2) Cables run from pier to computer

Now I just have to run cables from mains/switch to pier and I'll be done.

Along the way, I have ordered various cables of different sizes and now have a box full of cables I don't need (because I decided to do things differently). After pulling some cables through the 60mm conduit (that I thought would be fine but is actually tight) it has just occurred to me that rather than run 240V cables (IEC13-IEC14) from the APC masterswitch to various 12V and 5V PSUs, I can put the PSUs next to the masterswitch and run some 2.1mm / 2.5mm DC extension cables under the ground instead. They're much smaller and easier to pull through the conduit.

So that's 4x 2.5m IEC13-14 cables that I don't need due to arrive in the post tomorrow, and I'll get onto EBay and order some DC cables instead. My box of cables is going to be overflowing.

What am I going to do with myself when the observatory is actually finished? I'll have to take up a hobby, maybe astronomy or something.

Cables are now all neatly routed under the floor from wall to pier. Almost there - I'll still need to tidy the loosely stacked tower of PSUs and nest of cable sitting next to it. The finishing touch will be an IP webcam to allow me to look over things, which is on it's way.

If I had 3 pieces of advice to anyone setting out, they would be:

1) Get readymix concrete (or someone else to do/help with the labour).

2) When burying conduit, use bigger than you [think you] need and don't use right angle bends.

3) Measure everything. At least twice.

For me, the first was just really hard work and no cheaper than readymix. I sunk plenty of wide conduit in the garden, but wish I'd used bigger conduit from the wall to the pier. I used 50mm downpipe (not 60mm as mentioned above) under the concrete but didn't quite realise how many wires (some with big connectors on the end) that would want to pull through. I ended up with a box of assorted cables of different sizes that I don't need (and wasted about £50 on).

If I had 3 pieces of advice to anyone setting out, they would be:

1) Get readymix concrete (or someone else to do/help with the labour).

2) When burying conduit, use bigger than you [think you] need and don't use right angle bends.

3) Measure everything. At least twice.

Excellent advice and seconded from my own experience!   Also worth recruiting some help with the site clearance and digging.   Once the grunt is done (pier, base and trench/ducting) the build itself is great fun and rewarding :)

Look forward to some more pictures on the LV power and data supply to the mount.

Hindsight is wonderful, but you have to learn the hard way first to fully appreciate it.   To be honest I did enjoy the whole building process as it's such a departure from work and nice to do something physical.    The wrong side of 45 isn't too bad, but I should be more mindful of my limitations and lack of condition!    I'm sure another build is probably the last thing on Dave, Gina and Steve's minds - but a definite possibility for me over the next couple of years, if/when our tenancy comes to an end.  

And strangely enough I was sat up last night sketching out a 2.5m canvas and ply dome that keeps coming back to mind.   Not a serious itch as yet, but when the hankering really kicks in and I start sourcing materials I'll have to start another thread ;)

I started off with a cheap Chinese clone, but that didn't work too well (intermittent - when it worked it was fine) plus the web interface defaulted to Chinese every time. I replaced it with an original Foscam fi8910w and that seems fine. It has IR LEDs which it switches on/off automatically - I think you see that at the end of the clip (7:50). It's pitch black inside.

• 2 months later...

Hi Dave,

Very interested in your thread, particularly the automation. My dome arrives next week and as money permits hope for a similar setup. Ques, does the apc switch allow access from anywhere as it says on the tin or are there problems with software etc? When better I hope to again spend more time in Spain but access my dome from there, I will obviously have to integrate a cloud sensor as well, something that you have considered in your comprehensive professional build?

Regards

Mike

1) The APC masterswitch has a built in web interface and is accessible from anywhere (assuming you configure your firewall/router to allow it, or use a VPN). There is a demo available:

http://159.215.9.39/logon.htm

(Use apc/apc to log on).

2) The Shelyak controller has an interface to allow a rain sensor to close the dome, which is something I am considering. Unfortunately it will need some alterations as the dome currently only closes when it is in the park position (uses an IR signal and the sensor is only aligned at park). To have a rain sensor work I would need to make the dome able to close at any point.

Archived