Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Camera Spacing Using F6.3 Reducer

I have a new C8/AVX system being delivered later today. With beautiful weather forecasted for tonight my set up will be the C8/AVX with an f/6.3 reducer, Orion Mag-Mini 50 SSAG, and Canon 450D.

I thought I had all the pieces/parts to make this lineup work but now I'm not so sure. I was poking around last night looking for info on using the reducer and saw mention of the proper spacing of the camera from the SCT for focusing with the reduced focal length.

My intended line up was going to be SCT->reducer->T-ring adapter->Canon T ring->450D. I am using the Celestron 93633-A T-ring adapter.

So my question is will I need a different T-ring adapter and/or spacers to be able to image with the reducer? I guess I just assumed the focus range of the C8 was generous enough that the Celestron T-ring adapter would allow me to image with or without the reducer in place.

You will be able to get focus with that setup no problem. For the perfect setup though, the distance from the FR to the camera chip should be 110mm. I am pretty sure 110mm is correct but you may want to double check that.

If you have a Celestron reducer, then yes - the design distance is 110mm between the reducer and the CCD imaging plane.

(If you have an older Meade reducer (marked "Japan") these are similar - the new ones (marked "China") only have a backfocus distance of around 55mm!)

• 1 year later...

(If you have an older Meade reducer (marked "Japan") these are similar - the new ones (marked "China") only have a backfocus distance of around 55mm!)

I have to reply to this old thread, because I had read this information in a few places so I made sure I got a made in Japan Meade reducer (series 4000 model 07049). However, with the sensor at 110mm it gives you a 0.39x magnification with horrible coma, so you have to space it at around 55mm to get the proper 0.63x. I don't know if anyone else has such an experience, but I can't believe I have the only "Japan"-marked reducer that has a small sensor distance.

Sorry to hear that!

Sounds like any of the current Meade x0.63 may be suspect.

I know a guy here in Oz who just bought a new Meade reducer and it was OK at 105mm......

Go figure!!!!

Archived