Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

AstroCamp Brecon Beacons Sept 2013

The third AstroCamp in the Brecon Beacons is being held from the 7th - 10 th Sept 2013. Although this is organised by people who are members of the London Baker St Irregulars astronomy observers group, the AstroCamp is open to all. Bookings have just opened and I have already booked a pitch with electrical hookup.

Here are the details http://www.astrocamp.org.uk/

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Solar observing in the day, big friendly star party by night. Last time, many set up in the main field area and were looking through each others telescopes. Some of the imagers etc were off doing their own thing. As well as all that, the organisers put on a series of general interest astronomy talks as well as a pub quiz (one for adults and one for children) with some good prizes (PST for adults, and 127 SLT for the children as well as smaller prizes).

Solar observing in the day, big friendly star party by night. Last time, many set up in the main field area and were looking through each others telescopes. Some of the imagers etc were off doing their own thing. As well as all that, the organisers put on a series of general interest astronomy talks as well as a pub quiz (one for adults and one for children) with some good prizes (PST for adults, and 127 SLT for the children as well as smaller prizes).

A lot of fun. The question now, which kit should I bring me...probably cloud disperser :)

Imad,

Unfortunately not, I do not return from holiday until the Sunday so I fear I would not make it in time :smiley:

If my situation changes I will try to make it, it sounds great :smiley:

I'm going! Just printed off my receipt! Is that all we get? I was expecting to have to sign up to some sort of welcome email etc...

Just seen this on the website

"Once you have succesfully booked we will retain your details and contact you with more information closer to the event - please make sure you are receiving our emails!"

Just seen this on the website

"Once you have succesfully booked we will retain your details and contact you with more information closer to the event - please make sure you are receiving our emails!"

For the last two AstoCamps the welcome e-mail and info Pdf file arrived about four weeks before the event.

• 4 weeks later...

Just looking at this as an option to get the Missus and kids to come to a star party (I.e earlier before winter sets in) but it looks like Bakers Street are importing London prices to Wales... On my reckoning for a family of 4 for a 3 night weekend camping it'll costs us £120 with electric due to the per person pricing. I was thinking of asking some friends along too but their family got bigger than intended due to twins so to ask them to pay £135 to camp (bearing in mind with kids at school we'll probably only make use of 2 nights) seems a lot when camping usually costs us between £12 & £20 per night depending on electric and site standard. I realise there are other costs involved in a star party but I can't see my wife and kids making use of the extra star party facilities.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just looking at this as an option to get the Missus and kids to come to a star party (I.e earlier before winter sets in) but it looks like Bakers Street are importing London prices to Wales... On my reckoning for a family of 4 for a 3 night weekend camping it'll costs us £120 with electric due to the per person pricing. I was thinking of asking some friends along too but their family got bigger than intended due to twins so to ask them to pay £135 to camp (bearing in mind with kids at school we'll probably only make use of 2 nights) seems a lot when camping usually costs us between £12 & £20 per night depending on electric and site standard. I realise there are other costs involved in a star party but I can't see my wife and kids making use of the extra star party facilities.

They're really not! Camping in the Brecons isn't that cheap, with most campsites I've looked at with shower/electric and free Wifi charging £20-£40 a night for a family of 4. The campsite used for AstroCamp charges £30 and their tariffs are on a per person basis. The difference between the campsite and event tariffs mainly goes towards the quiz prizes and a small contingency fund for the next event. The organisers don't make a penny out of the event.

I understand that S@N are sending Chris North and Lucie Green to the event this year and will be hosting a live space surgery. Should be fun :)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived