SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tring astro centre

knobby

Hi all you Herts peeps

The keen eyed amongst you will notice that I'm not in Herts !

But I was yesterday and stumbled on this http://www.tringastro.co.uk/

Yep, you lucky so and so's have an actual, real life, walk in and look around / ask questions astro shop.

They seemed very knowledgeable and helpful, they've been going for a couple of months so pop in and wish them luck :grin:

From the description of locating the place it is exactly the same position - turn left on entering go to the end and on the first floor of the building facing you. It certaining is the old DHinds address, well Brooke St and post code.

As DH moved out to Leighton Buzzard way quite a few years ago it seems strange that another astro place has happened to open at exactly the same place. I assume there is some connection. Trying to remember if the place simply stopped being DHinds and took on another name but has remained quiet. Wouldn't be surprised that it has been there all the time under a changed name.

Thats right, I remember parking in a bit of a higgledy piggledy car park in the middle of the mill buildings and the going up some wooden exterior steps on he left of the building facing you. There must be some link but the website says its been going 20 years .

Thank you for the mention Knobby :)

Tring Astronomy Centre is our shop and it is in fact in the same location that David Hinds used many years ago. We have no links with David Hinds though other than being one of their authorised dealers. The location simply came about as a result of cost and convenience (we live in Tring too). The previous tenant was a signage company and as far as I know there hasn't been another optics company here since Hinds left 8+ years ago.

The 20 year reference refers to the length our our addiction to Astronomy! This venture is very new too us although we have had online stores for a few years now.

Very happy to share how this all came about over a coffee and a hob [removed word] in the showroom!

Thanks again

Neil & Jane

Have to get myself over and have a look also, used to drop into DH as it wasn't too far. Always found I could locate the shop easier then I could locate the whole of Tring. Always seemed to go round Tring or too far North of Tring rather then into Tring.

Major problem is that is that although I like Jaffa cakes I adore plain chocolate Hob ***'s, and to find that mention of them is "banned" seems a bit much. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Strange that you have ended up in the same location, but makes it easy to find you.

Hi Neil & Jane,

I used to be a regular visitor to David Hinds and his son when going birdwatching

at Tring reservoirs. I hadn't realised that it is nearly 8 years since David moved out.

I now understand why Jaffa Cakes are the local currency at SGL star parties!

Best Wishes.

Adrian

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

Currently at the Galloway Star Party, we have had about 4 clear nights and 3 with varying degrees of cloud, so a viewing every night out of the 7 nights here.

Strange I thought South West Scotland was meant to be wet.   Currently raining.

I hope to visit Neil & Jane next week for a chat and of course a beautiful cup of free coffee.

Keep Up the good work.

Cheers

Adrian

Archived