SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sky Safari for Laptop??

If your looking for a laptop planetarium like that how about Stellarium? I don't know enough about Sky Safari (I have it but not really used it yet) but it looks like it could be similar.

Phew, still £140 I can't afford! Can it be used on first generation iPads or cheaper tablets?

I know nuffin about iStuff so can't help with that but I'd say my Zenithink ZTPad C91 10inch android tablet is about as cheap as I'd go for reliability and functionality.

Recent updates to Sky Safari make it very powerful for tracking comets and asteroids so perhaps wouldn't run too smooth on some clunky old steamer!

• 1 month later...

Starry night and the skyX are some top of the line products, i use starry night pro plus though the that version is $190, though there basic edition can be had for $60. The skyX is another great one though once agian price scales and there pro version is $350 there student ed goes for $49 http://www.bisque.com/sc/pages/TheSkyXStudent.aspx . I still uses cdc for telescope control though lol, i just use the starry night for planing my night of imaging though the visauls alone are mind blowing with pro plus 6 :)

If you turn settings down to basic then should work on older iPad 1, I use on iPad 2 fine. Suggest post a message on southern stars yahoo group to get definite answers and future plans, they r very responsive!

• 9 months later...

That's great. I'll try tthat. Thanks!

Don't know whether anyone is still watching this thread BUT:

Sky Safari 4 Pro has just been released and its only £12 ish for Android phones until 21st April............... Make sure that you are connected to your wifi though before you download the app as its 1.18GB :huh:  

I used to think that Stellarium was the best photo realistic planetarium program but not so sure now that I have run Sky Safari 3 on my Samsung Galaxy SII.

Sky Safari is really good for easily finding out information on objects while in the observatory BUT of course, Stellarium allows you to program scripts to run shows. This is brilliant if giving presentations.

Ian

I bought one for Mrs.c's birthday, loved it so much bought one for myself. Now in the evenings we are ipadding and young Master c is Apple macking.

Just a few good apps,

"Jupiter's Moons".....Sky and Telescope

"Luminos."..lot friendlier than Sky Safari pro.

"ISS spotter"......free.

The excellent free....."Polar Align." Try it, you'll be amazed.

"Scope nights"........sort of imaginary forecast for scopers.

Old Nick.

Archived