SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hyper-Modded Canon 450D

ndastgir

Just finished hypermodding my Canon 450D following the instructions from: http://thaiastro.nectec.or.th/hypermod/ and took it one spet forward and chopped off the unnecessary ribbons from the top panel. The poor camera now looks like this:

8731665882_83e9d6d690_m.jpg8730543809_aa2bf63e44_m.jpg

It was a great sense of relief when I connected it to my laptop and it worked!

Also finished making the peltier cooler and that lookes like this:

8730543485_41f8876e31_m.jpg8730554515_627f4404cb_m.jpg

I made an attempt to build a box for the two, but failed. Does anyone know of a ready made sealed box that could host the modded camera?

I have seen a thread that someone has put the camera in an aluminium electic box, but that's a bit too heavy. I am looking for a clear polystyrene or pvc/plastic box. Appreciate it if someone has similar experience and have found a good box...

8731664992_819454d366_m.jpg

Clear skies,

Naeim

good stuff, well done

I always fancied doing this, I'm trying a full spectrum and debayer mod, if I can get that to work then peltier cooling is my next step

Have you thought of buying one of those carbon fibre kits an making a carbon fibre.kevlar enclosure ? :grin:

good stuff, well done

I always fancied doing this, I'm trying a full spectrum and debayer mod, if I can get that to work then peltier cooling is my next step

Have you thought of buying one of those carbon fibre kits an making a carbon fibre.kevlar enclosure ? :grin:

No I didn't but I am thinking about it now! :grin: thanks for the idea

I read a few comments and reviews that suggested a hyper-modded and cooled gives you results as good as QHY8L. Well, that's a £900 camera that I really like to buy one day. But until then I thought I cam wreck my 450D that perhaps worth around £200 which I already opened once to remove the IR filter.

I started removing bits and pieces one by one and checking if the camera works. after I removed the back panel and it worked I was confident that I could do it. But when it came to cutting the top panel ribbon, standing there with a pair of scissors, it took me a good half hour to decide, but I started cutting that too and it worked!

Now I cant wait for a clear night to see if it worth all the stress :D (well, after I finish butting it in a proper box that is)

I have thought about debayering, but couldn't find anyone who has been 100% successful. I am really interested to see how you do the debayering and what the result is.

Here is a link to a site that I was interested in, used to have some good videos including mould making

http://www.carbonmods.co.uk

I managed to debayer a panaosnic sensor and it still worked, unfortunately not only did I debayer it I also took out 99% of the photosensors so all it records is a black image with an exposure of 4s

next time I'll be more sensitive :angel:

yes, as I've heard debayering is a very delicate process. I saw a few images of debayered sensors. the images look stunning and it is not until you see a flat image that all the unevenness of the sensor cleanness it revealed. I tried debayering a webcam with a very strong paint solvent. it successfully dissolved the bayer matrix, the microlenses and melted the sensor itself! :grin: now I know one way of NOT debayering :grin:

There is a whole thread on here on de-bayering attempts. BTW, have you seen Gina's thread on camera modding and cooling? She went through a LOT of iterations in testing cooling methods including TC/watercooling to reduce the weight... worth having a read through if you haven't seen it.

great mod!

i´ve just to convince my wife to get some money for a 450D...don´t want to "kill" my 550D :rolleyes:

550D is too good to ruin it. If you are patient enough you can find a second hand body-only on ebay. I remember I seeing a 450D with broken screen that was sold for £80.

550D is too good to ruin it. If you are patient enough you can find a second hand body-only on ebay. I remember I seeing a 450D with broken screen that was sold for £80.

that´s what i´m looking for, seen some here in austria for around €100 some even with all the package equipment...but who would need an objective? :grin:

Archived