Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First dslr pics Leo Triplet & Cor Caroli

freebz1985

My new Canon 1100d through my skywatcher 200p with ra drive. If I could use my Photoshop program they would probably look better? No stacking yet, just a couple of test shots. 3 mins on Cor Caroli and 5 mins on the Leo Triplet. A meteor shot past as I was shooting the Leo triplet hence the line. Annoying how I have to take the focuser apart to attach the camera. Maybe a low profile focuser is in order.

post-28116-0-82226300-1367861966_thumb.j

post-28116-0-10436500-1367861991_thumb.j

A good start leo triplet looks like it has plenty of detail but looks like you have some star trailing maybe polar alignment slightly out. Why do you have to take your focuser apart to attach your camera?

Thats a great start. But you have star trails in both images. Just barely in your 3min but very noticable in your 5min of the triplets. Your polar alignment is needing some adjustment or your FL had exceeded what your mount can do unguided. I saw in your sig that you have guiding. Where you using guiding to obtain these? If so then your polar alignment is really out if guiding can't correct it at 3min. I've caught myself aligning to the wrong star before so double check your alignment and that should get rid of star trails.

Photoshop will help with the post processing but you need to stack images first to really be able to take full advantage of PS. Though that wont get rid of the star trails.

Can't help you with the focuser issue as I've never used a newt before.

I don't have guiding only a ra drive. 2-3 mins before trailing occurs is surly all I can expect from this setup. I have to unscrew the 1.25 part of the focuser to get the proper focus lentgh for the dslr

I don't know what your set up is but with eqmod it has a good polar alignment tool.With accurate polar alignment you may be able to get 5 min subs but may lose a few subs as well.Alignmaster is another good tool for polar alignment but guiding is definately the way to go otherwise maybe shorter your sub lengths and take more of them.Stacking subs helps a lot

I think eqmod and alignmaster require goto or dual axis motors and a st4 port? I've leveled the mount and used ALS reticule to calibrate the polarscope, drift alignment may be an option to get it more precise. The best option i think is shorter subs and lots of them.

I think eqmod and alignmaster require goto or dual axis motors and a st4 port? I've leveled the mount and used ALS reticule to calibrate the polarscope, drift alignment may be an option to get it more precise. The best option i think is shorter subs and lots of them.

Sorry Just read your post about having ra drive only yes eqmod and alignmaster need both ra and dec I am not sure but don't think it needs st4 port for guiding.It might be worth having a look on astronomy shed tutorials as there are some good tricks and advice about calibrating polar scopes and aligning.If you have a fixed pier and decent views then drift alignment is a lot more accurate

Archived